Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Any issues in switching user?

Copper Contributor

Any issues in switching user?

When I started in ACT I ran a conversion from Goldmine.  In Goldmine I was a user and a contact. When I migrated to ACT, my information came over as a contact, but ACT set me up as a different user (and contact).  So there are now two Ken's in my database.  One is the contact that came over from Goldmine with all my contact details, history etc.  The other is the new one created with ACT that has my history since starting to use ACT.

Can I merge the two records, and change the original Ken to be the user I sign in as?  I would then delete the new Ken that ACT created.  Are there any implications to this I should be aware of?

I am the only user on my system.

===========================
Ken Wiens
Project and Program Manager
www.kgw-consultants.com
============================
Silver Contributor

Re: Any issues in switching user?

Yes, this is possible.  First Back up you database, just in case.

Under Tools, manage users, create a new user from an existing contact. this will be your new My Record, since it has all the history from the previous database.

Then delete the Existing user and assign the records to the new My Record user you just created.

THis will assign all your histories, activities, etc to the correct user.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Copper Contributor

Thanks

I will give this a try.  Before I do though, "assign the records to the new My Record user you just created" - how do I do this part?

Ken Wiens
www.kgw-consultants.com
Platinum Super Contributor

You can use the Tools > Scan for Duplicates option to isolate your 2 'Ken' records and then combine them.  You will want to copy the data from the 'old' record (from Goldmine) into the 'new' record (Act! user record).  You will need a specific criteria to have them show as duplicates - in your case, contact name and phone number may be good duplicate checking options.

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

OK -thanks.  I was actually planning to copy the act record to the goldmine and delete the act record though.  I will then make the goldmine record the 'my record'.  The act record contains nothing but my first name and any new history (I only went to act a few months ago).  The Goldmine record has 15 years of history.  Does it matter which way I go?
Ken Wiens
www.kgw-consultants.com
Platinum Super Contributor

I only recommend copying everything to the current user record because you mentioned single user.  With a single license, even though you can create a new user and set it to 'Active - Pending', you cannot set your current user to 'Inactive' to release the license because you are signed on with it. 

If you have a license available, then I would recommend creating a User from the original GM record that contains the history already.

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

Excellent point!

Thanks

Ken

Ken Wiens
www.kgw-consultants.com