Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Another "Cannot open shared database - port 1434" problem, with a twist

Another "Cannot open shared database - port 1434" problem, with a twist

New ACT! V17 Pro installed on two Windows 7 Pro systems, individually licensed. Database restored and converted fromACT! v10 system and hosted in a shared folder on one of the two new systems.

Act opens properly on system with database folder. When clicking oh the ACT! icon on the second system, the "Cannot open... 1434..." message comes up after about one minute, along with a window giving the choice of Closing ACT or Open an Existing Database. Clicking on the Open Existing Database button shows two databases, the sample database included with the installation and my client's Contacts database. Highlighting the Contacts database and and clicking open allows the desired database to open properly. Everything works fine once it's open.

All the program and port rules described on this page http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19420 have been implemented and checked with "netstat -a" Disabling the Windows Firewall on the database host system allows correct operation on the first try. With it enabled, it takes the two steps described above to open.

This operation is rather strange. Either the program/port is blocked by the firewall or it isn't.  It shouldn't be blocked on the first try and allowed on the second. Leaving the firewall off isn't an acceptable option in the long run.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Another "Cannot open shared database - port 1434" problem, with a twist

If you're using a router for Internet access you may not need a software firewall because your individual computer IP address aren't visible to the Internet, only the IP address of the router. If you do feel that you still need the software firewall, configure it for an exception for the ACT! program.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Thanks for your reply,Roy.

Because the users will occasionally be on the network via VPN from unknown locations, which bypasses the router firewall, I'd prefer to keep the software firewall operational if possible.

As described, I have opened ports 1433 and 1434 and created Firewall exception rules for all of the ACT program as specified in the kb document referenced, without success.

Along with the operational consideration for my client, this is also an intellectual question for me on how a firewall can block access by the remote instance of ACT! "sometimes."  Is there a difference in how ACT! tries to open the database between the original try from the icon and the secondary try from the Open Existing Database dialogue box?

Best,

Stan

Platinum Elite Contributor

I believe you will need to include the SQL server, especially the ACT! instance in the exceptions.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

I added all the things listed in the kb document: I referenced:

How to Add ACT! by Sage and the ACT7 SQL Server® Instance to the Windows® Firewall Exceptions List

One would expect that to be a complete list. Perhaps this does not include the specific ACT instance of the SQL server.  Might I ask how to know what that is?

Still doesn't answer the "sometimes" block issue.

Thanks,

Stan