Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Another guy with "can't open database" but with more info

Re: Another guy with "can't open database" but with more info

Compressed data files is also one of the things I listed in the things I've tried.  

When I double click on the sqlserver.exe file it says "Your SQL Server installation is either corrupt or has been tampered with (Error getting instance ID from name.).Please uninstall then re-run setup to correct this problem."

Can anyone tell me what the resistry entries shold be under the  “HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\Instance Names” registry key

Now I can't even reinstall!  

it says I have a newer version already installed. so then I uninstalled the program and tried a fresh install and got an error msg that there was already an instance of act database (so at least I guess the instance id was there...)

But now I can neither get mine working or reinstall...is there another db program that will at least let me get my contacts out of act?  

This is phenominally bad.

Silver Contributor

At this point, if you havn't I"d consider a manual uninstall of SQL.  If you're not comfortable doing this, you might want to use a consultant.

How to Manually Remove the ACT7 Instance of SQL Server 2005

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

I did a manual uninstall and actually got everything reinstalled (SORT OF)

Two things: I got a strange error as I started setup:

And an error as it set up the mail client....now I got the database back YAY! 

BUT when I tried to select a mail program the box for available progs was empty???  So there's no way for me to set up my email client  (outlook express 6)

any ideas on the error message or the email issue>??

So while attempting to solve my email problem I came across this post and followed the steps it suggested: http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23426

after doing this I got the error message that started this whole thing!  

On one hand it's bad but on the other maybe this can give us a clue to what's going on.  I do know that before I applied the steps there was no "preferences" folder under "ACT for Windows 12" so we've narrowed things down a bit...now it's time for you "ACT evangelists" to do your thing!  What's the deal?

Smiley Happy

Ok got the database working again - I had to share the folder with the network..I don't unerstand why though - this is a single user computer and I never had to do that before (so why then?)

but now I still have no options for email programs!

what now guys? 

Platinum Super Contributor

Have a look at this article: KB Article 23426

Greg Martin
Sage

@gmartin -That's the same article I linked to as having tried. Taking those steps is what put me back on quare one.

I have since solved the problem and it's working but here's a question I'd like answered:

Why did I need to set up all my folders with sharing over the network when there is NO NETWORK?  I'm a single user/single logon.  Is my info going out on the web and coming back?  This is raising a big security/privacy issue for me.

Highlighted

Can you please tell me how you "shared the folder with the network"...I don't think mine are officially networked either; I have one user on two machines. Thanks. This stuff is way over my head. I just want to come to work in the morning, open my ACT, and get on with my day. Smiley Wink