Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Annual event fields don't refresh when choosing a new contact

Tuned Listener

Annual event fields don't refresh when choosing a new contact

Does anyone have a solution to the following problem?  The 10.0.2 Hotfix 1 information led me to beleive that might fix it but it did not.

When looking up contacts the date of birth field retains the previous contact's date of birth if there are multiple contacts that meet your search criteria and you select the first contact from the contact list

I am using ACT 10.0.2.191, Hotfix 1 on Windows XP SP3

Tuned Listener

Re: Annual event fields don't refresh when choosing a new contact

[ Edited ]

Hi there crbaker.

I think you have corruption in your database.

Backup your database (File -> Backup -> Database) and then do the following database repair routines.

1. Go to 'Start -> Run' and type actdiag (you may need to agree to a disclaimer)

2. On the main actdiag page choose 'Databases' then 'Database List'.

3. Find your database in the list and left click it - putting the little black arrow in the grey box.

4. now right click it and complete the following procedures.

* Check Database

* Repair Database

* Reindex Database

* Database Rebuild -> Rebuild Schema

* Database Rebuild -> Rebuild Security

* Database Rebuild -> Rebuild OLE/DB Report Objects

* Database Rebuild -> Rebuild Sync Objects

***DO NOT do Remove Accounting Link ID's***

NB: If this doesn't fix the problem test with a different database. Do you see the same problem? 

Let me know how you get on.. 

Kind regards,

Cesc 

Message Edited by CrazyCesc4 on 07-02-2008 02:13 PM
Message Edited by CrazyCesc4 on 07-02-2008 02:14 PM
Tuned Listener

There is no corruption in the database.  This is an issue that happens on every database including the demo database included with ACT.

ACT support acknowledged this problem when I spoke to them in November of last year and they indicated itwould be fixed in an update but so far it has not been addressed.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Tuned Listener

Here is how you can see what I am talking about. Open the demo database that comes with ACT. The Chris Huffman contact will be displayed. Click on the Home Address tab to display the Birthday field. You will notice her birthday is 4/5/1963. Use the backward arrow to scroll back to record #29 which is Liz Dittmeier. You will notice that her birthday is 6/11/1962. Now go back to the Chris Huffman record and select Lookup - Last Name. Type in Dittmeier and click OK. You should see the contact list view with two records with Dittmeier as the last name. Double click on the first name is the list which is the Brandee's Bakery record. The birthday field is displaying 4/6/1963 which is wrong, that is Chris Huffman's birthday. Now if you click on the forward arrow to go to the next record and then the back arrow to return to the Brandee's Bakery record the birthday correctly displays 6/11/1962.

I posted this to the ACT Moderated discussion groups back in Nov 2007 and Dave Lunceford confirmed he could replicate it and indicated he would get back to me but has not.  That info is pasted in below.

David Lunceford - Nov 12, 2007 6:49 am (#1 Total: 2)  

Chris Baker wrote:

I am having problems with annual event fields displaying incorrect data. They are displaying data from the previous record. Here is what I have been able to figure out. The problem seems to occur when I do a lookup and there is more than one contact that matches the lookup and so the contact list view comes up instead of just going directly to the contact. If double click on the first contact to select that one, then the data displayed in the annual event field is wrong. The data displayed is whatever the previous record had in that field. It only seems to happen if I select the first contact in the list. After I have double clicked on the contact and brought up the contact detail screen with the incorrect data displaying if I use the forward or back arrow to change to a different contact and then back to the previous contact the annual event field then displays the correct data. I have replicated this problem on four different computers with multiple different databases and they all exhibit the same problem. Here is how you can see what I am talking about. Open the demo database that comes with ACT. The Chris Huffman contact will be displayed. Click on the Home Address tab to display the Birthday field. You will notice her birthday is 4/5/1963. Use the backward arrow to scroll back to record #29 which is Liz Dittmeier. You will notice that her birthday is 6/11/1962. Now go back to the Chris Huffman record and select Lookup - Last Name. Type in Dittmeier and click OK. You should see the contact list view with two records with Dittmeier as the last name. Double click on the first name is the list which is the Brandee's Bakery record. The birthday field is displaying 4/6/1963 which is wrong, that is Chris Huffman's birthday. Now if you click on the forward arrow to go to the next record and then the back arrow to return to the Brandee's Bakery record the birthday correctly displays 6/11/1962. So for some reason ACT is initially displaying the wrong information even though the correct data is shown when you move off that record and back. So the correct data is in there but is just not being displayed when there are multiple matches to a lookup and you select the first one.

Chris,

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I was able to replicate
the issue following your steps.

Let me look into this further. I'll reply back when I find out further
information.

Thank you for your inquiry.

David Lunceford
Online Customer Support Analyst
Sage Software, Small Business Division
ACT! - A Sage Software Brand
1715 North Brown Road
Lawrenceville, GA 30043
Your business in mind.™

Visit www.sagesoftware.com for more information about our company and
products.

Note: Please do not reply to this post via email.
To reply to this post, return to our On-Line Discussion Groups at:

http://www.act.com/support/advantage/index.cfm?
or
http://64.62.177.199/

Chris Baker - Jan 4, 2008 4:16 pm (#2 Total: 2)  

Any update

Dave,

Have you figured anything out on this issue?

[ Edited ]

Chris,

When I research an issue for a customer, I send them the results by e-mail.  Sorry, but I cannot recall if I followed up on this issue or not.  But it looks like I didn't or you didn't receive the e-mail.

The issue brought up is about 'ghosting date fields'.  In these cases, the 'ghosting' is temporary and not an permanent change.  I simple refresh will place the proper dates in the field (View | Refresh). This can be affected by hardware acceleration, system resources, layout, number of fields on the layout, etc...

Message Edited by DLunceford on 07-10-2008 02:08 PM
Tuned Listener

Dave,

Thanks for the response.  Yes, refreshing or changing between contacts updates the fields but if you happen to select one of the un-refreshed fields that data is no longer temporary and the correct data is overwritten with incorrect data.

I don't think users should be expected to have to Select View | Refresh after lookups to see the correct data.

This seems to be an issue that Sage should fix.

Chris