Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

After tagging my 13,000 records to Private - I'm suddenly missing 8,000 records!??

After tagging my 13,000 records to Private - I'm suddenly missing 8,000 records!??

I have 13,000 records in Act.ver. 11 2009.  I upgraded my older Act ver.6 to this copy using the Upgrade Feature when I was install the newer version.

I need a remote user to have access to only part of these records.

After looking through the forums and reading the manual, it seems I can accomplish my goal at access restriction by first Tagging all the records in the database as “Private” and then extracting those I want the user to have access too but querying my new list and attaching that list to a Group.  I then set the Group to “Public”.

I’m getting confused however at the first part of my plan.  Tagging all the records in the database, 13,000 or them, is fairly straight forward and I have no errors or weird things happening. 

However, when I right click on my tagged list and choose Edit Contact Access/Make Contacts Private – suddenly only 5,600 records appear to remain in my database?  Or, is it that after tagging the records as Private, I can only view these 5,600 records and the remaining are there but I can’t view them?  And if this is the case, why can I view these 5,600 but not the rest of the records?

Why is it that the rest of my database is suddenly gone or at least not viewable?

Does the sudden disappearance of 8,000 records just after I tag them and mark them as Private have to do with the Company’s Record Manager? If so, how do I become the Company Records Manger.  I am the Administrator and the original record created when this database was created.

Help.  I don’t even know if my overall goal at limiting the records the remote user can view can be accomplished this way and I’m stuck at the first part of my test!

Help!

Avid Listener

Re: After tagging my 13,000 records to Private - I'm suddenly missing 8,000 records!??

Remember, Private means the 'Record Manager' associated with that individual contact is not the sole viewer.

You might be able to use Edit - Replace Field and change the record manager.

Most likely you have to log in as the user who now owns those records and change them from within that users login.

DBS

Re: After tagging my 13,000 records to Private - I'm suddenly missing 8,000 records!??

Thank you for helping.  I'm so stuck!

Can you be clearer when you say:  Private means the 'Record Manager' associated with that individual contact is not the sole viewer.  I'm not understanding.

And I am logged in as the main administrator.  My login is the first log-in created as administrator for the database when i was loading it. 

Is there a way to 'globally' make my login the record manager for all the records in the database?

Avid Listener

Ah.

A PRIVATE setting for anything within ACT! means the 'Record Manager' owns that item and only the 'Record Manager' can see it.

On one of the contacts you can still see, click on the 'Contact Info' tab and you'll see the 'Record Manager' listed.

DBS

How to perform a global Record Manage move and data access

Great!  I know understand why the records I tagged 'disappeared'...I added a Record Manager column to my Contact List view.

How do I get all the records under one Record Manager?  I have some records under one name and the rest under another.

Also, my original challenge was to control the access of a remote user.  My plan was to set all the records to Private and then create a query, pulling out the records I want the remote user to work with, and link those to a Group.  Can I then share a Group such that the remote user will be able to see and work with that group but no other records?  Is this the proper, or a proper method, of controlling the remote user's access to the data?

There is a way to make a "team," would that method also work?  Is one better for this remote access and data control than the other?

Almost done!  Thanks!

Avid Listener

Re: How to perform a global Record Manage move and data access

Woa!

a) log in as the user you think now owns these records. You might have to try all users. Do this until you can see the records.

b) Use <Edit><Replace Field> and change the 'Record manager' field with your user id. Make sure you know what this is before you make the move.

c) Once you have cleaned up the mess you can now start to think about security

Security:

Security has 3 options: Public (all), Private (record manager) and limited Access (user, users or Team(s))

You have to change each contact individually. I suggest Limited Access to a Team

Put your self on every team.  Say TeamA

Put your sales person on a team. Say TeamB

Open the Contact, select the Contact Access field and change the Limited Access to TeamA and TeamB as you seem fit.

Make sense?

DBS

Is there any way to change the record manager instead of going through the records one by one and changing this field manually?

I've got 13,000 records! 

Act! ver.12 will come out before I'd be done!  Ha!

Seriously, is there an automated, "global" method of changing a set of records?

Peace

Step B is for mass changing.
Avid Listener

Dave is correct, log in as the user that owns the records and do a mass change with <Edit><Replace Field>
DBS