Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

After performing a lookup, Act! is no longer the active window

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

After performing a lookup, Act! is no longer the active window

After doing a lookup in Act! v. 18, the Act window is no longer the active window.  Act! is still positioned in front of other open windows (programs) but the name of the DB is grayed out in the upper left and any typing does not register in Act!  I used to be able to get right to work on the contact or list of contacts that my lookup returned. Now I have to click somewhere on the Act window to make it active. Anything I'm doing wrong or is this just a new feature of v.18?

I'm running Windows 10, in case that's relevant.

Thanks!

Nick

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author ntoren1
‎06-07-2016 10:25 AM
Administrator

Re: After performing a lookup, Act! is no longer the active window

[ Edited ]

You should be able to insert a new note by hitting Ctrl+N.

You can customise the keyboard shortcuts in Tools > Customise > Menus and Toolbars > Keyboard:

Act!_2016-06-07_09-17-34.png

View solution in original post

All Replies
Platinum Elite Contributor

What steps are you taking to do the Lookup? There are a few ways, so just want to know to try and replicate.
Also, what build from Help | About? EG 18.1 + HF3 is the current one

Hi, Mike. I usually use Alt+L > N or C.

Yes, I'm running Act! Pro Version 18.1.103.0, Update 3

Administrator

Hi Nick,

I've seen this issue before on particular layouts.

Does this issue happen on any other layouts you have? To test thoroughly, close Act after changing the layout, then re-open and test. Sometimes simply changing the layout can temporarily solve the issue until Act has been restarted.
Was the affected layout based off the demo database layout, named "ACTDemo"?

Hi, Gary. We are using a custom layout.

Before I recently bought a new computer with Windows 10 (was on a tower with Win 7) as well as upgraded to the latest Act! we were also using a custom layout and we never had this issue. So it's either to do with the new Windows version or new Act! version. Not a huge deal, just an inconvenience. I would think software would get better with every iteration but obviously that's not how things work in this world!

Administrator

Could you please try testing with a different layout to see if the problem occurs there too?
Do you know if your custom layout was created using the demo layout as a starting point?

I didn't create the custom layout so I can't speak to how it was created..

I tested using a different layouts, I can't tell if they're "demo" layouts but perhaps you can. I'm finding these in a dropdown window at the top of my main contact screen. 

1. Using the first choice, "Basic Contact Layout - 1024x768 2011-06-13 10-35-18," I'm getting some repeat of the problem (not every time) when searching for a contact, Alt+L > N. No repeat of the problem when searching for a company, Alt+L > C.

2. Using the second choice, "Basic Contact Layout - 1024x768," I get no repeat of the problem.

Administrator

Thanks Nick.

The Basic Contact Layouts are not demo layouts, rather they are the versions of the default basic layouts.
Could you post a screenshot of the contact detail layout on your main custom layout?

Act screen shot.jpg

Administrator

Thanks Nick.

I'll pass over the detail you've given us to the product management team for review.
I'll post any updates as I receive them.