Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

After AVG update and restart, ACT! won't start

After AVG update and restart, ACT! won't start

Using Win7 with ACT! 2012. When I click the launch shortcut... nothing. No error message, no splash screen -- just nothing. I uninstalled and re-installed with no success. With Task Manager open on the Processes tab, ActSage.exe momentarily pops up, but that's it. From a KB article suggestion, I entered the SQL Server Configuration Manager application and selected SQL Server Services in the left column. The right pane shows "The remote procedure call failed. [0x800706be]". Not sure if that is significant. HELP!!!!

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: After AVG update and restart, ACT! won't start

ACG is the problem. There are other threads with suggestions on exceptions to make in AVG to allow ACT! to function. It appears to mot be a single exception that needs to be made. As a check try disabling AVG temporarily and see if ACT! starts. By the way I have AVG Internet security 14 on one system and version 15 on the other and it has only caused problems with AVG 15.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Silver Super Contributor

Try the suggestion in this post.

https://community.act.com/t5/Act/ACT-2011-Will-Not-Start-Up/m-p/307999#M75398

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!

I turned off AVG and the problem persists. I operate this ACT database from 2 locations in my facility. When I attempt to start ACT from the PC that holds the database, nothing happens. When I launch ACT from the 2nd, remote, PC, ACT starts but posts the error message "The SQL database command timed out". I hope this is helpful and thanks for helping.

The problem is with AVG. Your experience is similar to mine and I had to call AVG and they were able to fix the problem which included several ACT! exceptions in AVG and he also reinstalled the update. I would suggest that you call AVG.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

I will contact AVG as you've suggested, but why would AVG be the problem if I disable it and the problem persists?

I don't have an exact answer except that I have seen where disabling antivirus programs didn't fully disable them and it took an uninstall and reboot to completely disable them. I believe that some of the AVG problem is related to SQL. I also have a third party report editor that accesses the ACT! SQL database directly and it also wouldn't open after the AVG update but would after AVG worked on my system.

For what it's worth, I knew in advance that people were have problems launching ACT! following an AVG update so I focused my fix attempts on AVG and finally had to call AVG for help.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

I added the ACT! application to the AVG exception list and everything is now working. Many thanks for your help.

Tuned Listener

Thanks! That worked for me.