Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Advice for new ACT server

Advice for new ACT server

We are a small company with only about 15 users.  Our current server is about 6 years old and we feel it is time to upgrade.  Anyone have a recommendation on a current server configuration that works well with ACT?

Thanks in advance!

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Advice for new ACT server

Hello Sheldon,

Welcome to the ACT! Online Community!

Some members may be able to answer with their real-life experiences about hardware configuration, but in the meantime - here is a link to some White Papers provided by Sage, you will find one listed addressing Scalability: Sage ACT! White Papers

Greg Martin
Sage
Bronze Super Contributor

Are you already using ACT! or are you talking about a new install?  If currently using, what version of ACT!?

How many of the 15 users will be ACT! users?  How heavily will all of the users be using the system?

What other applications are to run on this server?

Will some of the ACT! users be remote only users (i.e - only use ACT! on their portable PCs)?

What is your budget range?

Right now we have the 2011 version of ACT

8 of the 15 users will heavily be using ACT, the others just on occasion.

ACT will be the primary application on the server, there might be a small amount of file storage as well

Yes we do have 2 remote ACT users

Budget is ~$3-5k ... The lower I keep it the less I get yelled at Smiley Happy

Thanks for the reply!
Copper Elite Contributor

You should be ok with that budget as long as those numbers are just for the hardware, and not for ACT! as well.

If you get a lower end Dell or HP server you should be able to get a nice Xeon Processor that is dual or quad core.  Go for the fastest hard drive you can get and do 4+ GB of RAM.  As long as you don't start adding tons more users or start using this new box to serve other apps, you should be fine.

Mark Hammer
ACT! Fanatic

Great thanks for the advice!

Is there a RAID config that works best? I think right now we are using config 5 with 3 hard drives.
Copper Elite Contributor

My personal preference if I had unlimited funds would be RAID 10 (requires a min of 4 hard drives), but RAID 5 or RAID 1 are also acceptable.

Mark Hammer
ACT! Fanatic

I recently upgraded from Act!2000 to Act! Pro 2011 and would give my comments on the hardware.  Act!2000 easily ran on my quad Xeon server with 2GB RAM.  CPU use was very low sometimes spiking to 20% but usually about 3-5% load.  We also use the same server as a Quickbooks Enterprise host and those two tasks are the only things it does.

When I upgraded to Act! Pro 2011 however things got tough.  We have 6 users and only four of them are usually logged onto Act!  The others seldom use the program.   My CPU often runs at 100% load for short periods very frequently now and my RAM was all depleted as well.  I increased the RAM to 4GB and about 3.5 of it are in use most of the time.  

I think there is an SQL server that runs as part of Act! Pro 2011 that really must suck up the system resources.  I've also noticed that Act! Pro 2011 is significantly slower than Act!2000.  It takes a long time to load and everything about it is much slower.  You want to have the program up and running BEFORE you get on the phone with a customer because it's going to take some time to pull up a customer's records.  You don't want to look stupid because you dont' know what a customer is talking about because your Act! won't open fast enough.

In our case we were forced to upgrade because Act!2000 won't run on a 64 bit platform but in every other way that we've seen the program got worse rather than better.  It's slower.  It's harder to do lookups. It's a resource hog.   My advice to you would be to get 6GB or more RAM and as fast a processor as you can afford in your budget.  Act! is a big slow pig.