Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Advanced query, how can I tell when an email address was entered?

Copper Contributor

Advanced query, how can I tell when an email address was entered?

I want to know how many email addresses (E-Mail) were added to our database in the last week (last 7 days) and by whom (Last edited by...) - How could I achieve this?

I've tried;

contacts - e-mail - contains data - nothing AND

contacts - edited by - within [days] - 7

But it just seems to result in ALL FIELDS edited within 7 days, and not just the E-Mail...

Silver Contributor

Re: Advanced query, how can I tell when an email address was entered?

If it was how many contacts were added in hte past week, you could look up the create date field.  ACT Does not by default capture field change history in a system field for email address.  If you are adding new email addresses to existing contacts, then you would need to tell ACT to create a history at the change of the email address field and then do a custom report (I would use crystal reports) to parse out just the records which have a history for email address changed and also have an email address in the email field. 

The first one is easy, the second one is more complex and would probably require the use of a consultant or rocket scientist.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Nickel Contributor

Re: Advanced query, how can I tell when an email address was entered?

The report you need is not possible with ACT out-of-the-box. However, if you have TopLine Dash (an excellent ACT reporting tool) and set the Email field to "Record Histroy" then it is possible

1. Within ACT set the properties for the E-Mail field so that if it is changed, an entry is placed into the History Tab. Tools -> Define Fields -> Email. Check "Generate History"

2. Then in TopLine create a new Dashboard Panel based upon the History Query.

3. Select History Linked to Contacts and define the Query as follows:

Table = HISTORY

Field = Details

Operator = Contains

Value = E-mail changed from ""

4. Select to display Contact, Company, Email from Contact Table and Date, History Type, Regarding and Record Manager from the History Table.

5. Should display a list of Contacts who have had their email address changed from "" and shows which ACT user made the change, when and what the entered Email address is.

6. You can then use standard Dashboard functionality to group / sort / count the displayed results.

Trevor Lever

UK - ACT Certified Consultant
www.actpartners.co.uk
trevor@actpartners.co.uk