Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Advanced Query

Advanced Query

Hello all,

I have recently imported a list of contacts from an excel spreadsheet into an ACT 2010 database. Each contact has a title, company name, physical address, and email address. 

My goal is to create a lookup that has only one contact per company. As to who that one contact is, I want it to be a hierarchy of titles starting with marketing, then owner, associate, etc. So if there is someone with the title of marketing, they would be the one contact listed for that company. If there is no one with the marketing title, the contact with the owner title would appear instead, and so on.  Also, if there is no match in the title for a particular company, the lookup should include one contact for each company regardless of their title. 

Hopefully this makes sense? Is there a method that would work in order to get the lookup in attempting to get?

Thanks!

Bronze Contributor

Re: Advanced Query

Hello Matt.  While the advanced lookup provides excellent nesting for a lookup using and/or criteria, it does not use boolean logic.

I think the best way is to add a yes/no box next to the title as you enter contact information, so that you control the lookup by searching on that checked box.  If you have a lot of contacts in your db, you could do a lookup of all contacts with the term "marketing" in their title and then do a group field update and check the yes/no.

For the other titles, you would do a similar lookup but exclude the other titles.  For example:

Title "does not contain" "Marketing" and "contains' "Owner"

Hope that helps.

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, & Exchange 2013 & Office 365, 32bit
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013