Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Advanced Lookup With Variable

Accepted Solution Solved
Bronze Super Contributor
Accepted Solution

Advanced Lookup With Variable

Our database has suffered inconsistency in data storage over the past decade.

I just built an advanced lookup that is looking in 12 fields for one word.  The fields may be in the contact or in the opportunity.

This lookup will be used for a number of other similar lookups.  

Is there anyway that a lookup can accommodate a variable that each of the fields will reference.  I'm not a programmer, but this is what I'm thinking:

Setting = {word would be put here}

Field 1

Field 2

Field n

Each of the fields would look for the setting word - the variable.

This way I can copy the lookup and only have to change one field - the setting.

For what it's worth, the variable would be the name of the manufacturer.

John Purdy
ACT! Premium V. 22.1.212.0 Update 4
HP ENVY 17m, 16GB, & Office 365, 32bit, 500GB SSD.
ACT CRM Advisor

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author jnpurdy
‎08-03-2018 06:53 AM
Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Advanced Lookup With Variable

Hello,

I think that through Act! there is no way to define the variable in a single word, probably the same word should be repeated in each line of the (Lookup Menu) advanced - Advanced Query

On the other hand, the latest versions of Act! have something called universal search, but when creating the search ... there is no CREATE LOOKUP  for Opportunities. (This could be the way to look for the same word in any field of contacts and opportunities)

1.png

I suggest looking for an add-on (CLICK) that makes this function, or maybe  the help of a professional expert in SQL Server.

Greetings and good luck.....

FIRMA.png

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author jnpurdy
‎08-03-2018 06:53 AM
Nickel Elite Contributor

Hello,

I think that through Act! there is no way to define the variable in a single word, probably the same word should be repeated in each line of the (Lookup Menu) advanced - Advanced Query

On the other hand, the latest versions of Act! have something called universal search, but when creating the search ... there is no CREATE LOOKUP  for Opportunities. (This could be the way to look for the same word in any field of contacts and opportunities)

1.png

I suggest looking for an add-on (CLICK) that makes this function, or maybe  the help of a professional expert in SQL Server.

Greetings and good luck.....

FIRMA.png

Bronze Super Contributor

I pretty much expected that.

I did, however, post this idea in "Share Your Ideas".

If you think it is a good idea and if other think so, please support it if Swiftpage posts it for consideration.

I didn't see it today, so put this request in your todo's.

John Purdy
ACT CRM Advisor
Platinum Elite Contributor

The query with a variable isn't possible. However depending on what you want to do there may be a workaround using the contact list. If you add the fields you want to check to the contact list view you can then sort by one of the fields which will place the entries in alpha order and you can tag the desired contacts and create a lookup that way.
Roy Laudenslager
Retired ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
Bronze Super Contributor

Thanks Roy.  I like what you are saying, but the field being used have too much data on which to sort.  First, it will sort on the first word.

Taking your suggestion a step further, would it be possible to add a filter to the column.  Again, not part of ACT … but maybe it could be in the future.

Best regards,

John Purdy
ACT CRM Advisor