Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Advanced ACT configuration questions

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Advanced ACT configuration questions

Hello!

I am helping a friend get ACT! setup at his workplace, and I am having a dillema figuring whether his intended configuration is possible.

He is the manager of sales, and has 3 sales people working for him. All users are currently using ACT databases that reside on their desktops/laptops. He would like to have access to everybody else's leads, but keep the other sales staff from seeing each other's contacts. I reccomended a central database with teams and groups setup to restrict access. However, he does not have premium, and there is currently no remote access solution for the company (everybody takes their laptops with them) , so a single database will not work.

Is it possible to setup a one-way sync relationship, that will sync the sales staff's contacts into his db? Is it only possible to do this with manual imports/exports from the databases to his, or is there some kind of other functionality built into ACT to do this?

Any help will be appreciated, thanks!

PS. ACT! version is 2009

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author aznedy
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Advanced ACT configuration questions

Hello Aznedy - welcome to the community, 

One option is to use 'Remote Databases': 

- You would set up the main (Publisher) database on a host machine (on a desktop machine if a server isn't available)

- Set up the contact records by assigning them to the appropriate User (using the Record Manager field)

- Create a 'Sync Set' (criteria for which information is to be accessed by the laptop user - ex: every contact with Record Manager equal to 'Username XYZ')

- Create the 'Remote' (Subscriber) databases which will then be placed on the laptops, running as local databases

This gives you the control of which data/contacts the Salesmen can see and allows them to access their database even when they are not connected to the network.  When the laptops are connected to the network, they can then Synchronize their remotes with the main database (2-way sync). 

Since you are not using the Premium version of Act!, you will have to have the main database open on it's host machine to allow the remotes to synchronize.  Premium has an option (Network Sync Service) that allows the main database to synchronize while closed.

Before creating the remote databases you would want to import the existing individual databases into the 'main' database.  This can be done using the Import/Export function within Act!, you can import/export from 1 database to another but you will first need to get the databases on the same computer (the host machine).  You can use the Backup and Restore functions to copy the databases from the laptops to the host.

Links for reference:

How to Backup and Restore an Act! database 

Best Practices for Import/Export of one Act! database to another

How to Create a Remote Database

Greg Martin
Sage

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author aznedy
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Super Contributor

Hello Aznedy - welcome to the community, 

One option is to use 'Remote Databases': 

- You would set up the main (Publisher) database on a host machine (on a desktop machine if a server isn't available)

- Set up the contact records by assigning them to the appropriate User (using the Record Manager field)

- Create a 'Sync Set' (criteria for which information is to be accessed by the laptop user - ex: every contact with Record Manager equal to 'Username XYZ')

- Create the 'Remote' (Subscriber) databases which will then be placed on the laptops, running as local databases

This gives you the control of which data/contacts the Salesmen can see and allows them to access their database even when they are not connected to the network.  When the laptops are connected to the network, they can then Synchronize their remotes with the main database (2-way sync). 

Since you are not using the Premium version of Act!, you will have to have the main database open on it's host machine to allow the remotes to synchronize.  Premium has an option (Network Sync Service) that allows the main database to synchronize while closed.

Before creating the remote databases you would want to import the existing individual databases into the 'main' database.  This can be done using the Import/Export function within Act!, you can import/export from 1 database to another but you will first need to get the databases on the same computer (the host machine).  You can use the Backup and Restore functions to copy the databases from the laptops to the host.

Links for reference:

How to Backup and Restore an Act! database 

Best Practices for Import/Export of one Act! database to another

How to Create a Remote Database

Greg Martin
Sage

Wow! I don't think I could have received a more helpful response. Thank you gmartin for your excellent write-up! 

I am going to try to implement this within the next week. I will let you know how it goes.