Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Administrator access to private records

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Administrator access to private records

How is it possible that the Administrator cannot access a standard user's private records?  This is a major problem for me.  Please advise.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author marvinlgregory
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Administrator access to private records

Private means just that, only the user setting the record to private can view the records. ACT! has always worked this way. You may want to look at the premium version of the ACT! program which has limited access which seems to be more what you want.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author marvinlgregory
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Private means just that, only the user setting the record to private can view the records. ACT! has always worked this way. You may want to look at the premium version of the ACT! program which has limited access which seems to be more what you want.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Silver Contributor

Private records are always private to the user.  No one else even admin can see them.

The Premium version of ACT has user lever security that allows the database to be parsed out by contact, opportunity, group, etc and only uwers with the appropriate rights get to see those records.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Highlighted

Thank you for your reply. It seems to me that with any, and most, programs, Administrators have complete and total control and rights over all aspects of that program.

With all due respect, that's beside the point.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Bronze Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Administrators have complete control over ALL data in act!. The administrator can access any record at any time. If an administrator goes to the 'Manager Users' area he/she can access the users login credentials then log on under that account. If the administrator wishes he/she can disable the account and move all the records, private or not, to another user.

By design, and I think it’s a good design, the admin account when logged into act! adheres to the base security model of any other user account; administrators cannot 'see' private records from other users accounts since these private records may be of personal nature such as "Doctor's appointment for my nose job"

But again, an administrator can access any records private or not if needed by accessing the users logon credentials.

-- Jim Durkin

Thank you.  Is there a way to prevent standard users from making a record private?

Bronze Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am not aware of a way to remove the ' Make Private'  inside act!. We could create an add-on that disables the ability to mark a record private. We created a similar one to disable the print options in act!.

The downside with any add-on that changes the security model ( such as this type of add-on) you also need to lock down the workstations ADD/REMOVE option from the control panel. An advanced user could simple remove the add-on.

You can contact me directly if you have any further questions.

-- Jim Durkin

www.Durkincomputing.com

Thank you Jim.  Removing that add-on would render the Admin from making private records, which is not an option for me.  According to a post by Roy, it appears the Premium version would grant me the option I'm looking for.  I may consider that upgrade if that's the case.  Thank you so much for your time and valuable input.