Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Additional Support Options

Additional Support Options

My name is Adam McCook. And I am a long time user of ACTI I recently received a new company laptop. It required me to reinstall act 2011. This is the third time I have had to reinstall the software, and every time I have there has been an issue that required me to call support. This time, the error  was "your machine has a root reboot pending that may interfere with the Sage ACT! installation. If you risk to reboot now please close all applications and click yes to reboot". I spent spent several hours searching through the support channels and attempted to fix that was listed online. I then attempted to call support as I've done in the past and was told I had three options. All of these options were at least $100 or more. The hundred dollar option was for a one-time support call. I was totally blown away that my only option was to pay at least hundred dollars. While I use this product for work, they did not pay for it. I simply do not have $100 to get this working. You desperately need another support option that will allow an individual either access to the correct answers online or a reasonable charge to pay for support. I am now in the position where I'm looking for other software's that are more reliable. I truly love your product and rely on it, but there's no way I can pay $100 or more every time I need to call. Once more.  I have encouraged several of my colleagues to purchase the software is well. I plan to let them know that the support policies have changed and in less there willing to pay $100 every time they install, they should also look for a new product. Am I missing something?  Or do I have another option that is more affordable? 

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Additional Support Options

Hello Adammac,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

We're sorry to hear you are having issues installing the Sage ACT! software. 

What you have stated about the support plans and pricing is correct, the minimum support plan (one event) is now $100.  The 'more affordable' alternatives to paid support, that we provide, are the Sage ACT! Knowledgebase and the Sage ACT! Online Community.  Since this is your first post in the Community, you may not have experienced the vast amount of knowledge available from other Community members (which includes ACT! Certified Consultants).  And our Knowledgebase is constantly being updated as new solutions are found.

For issues with the 'reboot pending' message, we are also seeing this message when Windows Updates are waiting to be applied or Windows Updates has been disabled.  Ensure there are no waiting updates, reboot the computer, and attempt the installation again.

If that does not resolve the issue, please create a new issue post with more detailed information about the steps you have taken, any knowledgebase articles followed, and the computer operating system. 

Greg Martin
Sage

My company supplies the laptop, so I have no control over the eindows updates. They have disabled automatic updates and will not allow us to enable. One thing to note here is that the software was running on the exact same build of windows as it is now. With the same restrictions. 

The problem I am having is the following; I am attempting to reinstall the ACT software on my company laptop. I had a hard drive error, so I recieved a identical build drive that I am using today. I am running windows XP with service pack 3. When I try to install ACT software it starts the installation then gives me the following error. Your machine has a reboot pending that may interfere eith the Sage ACT installation. If you wish to reboot now, close all open applications and click YES to reboot. Rebooting does not help. I have searched the help pages and can not find a solution that addresses this issue.

Bronze Super Contributor

Are you sure that you have sufficient rights in Windows' to be able to successfully install ACT!?

You need to be a local administrator on that machine to install ACT!.  Based on what you are saying about not being able to change the settings for Windows updates, I would tend to think you are not a local admin.

This error may not be directly related to your rights, but that will be an issue...

Here is a KB that also talks about possible Pending reboot error source:

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/26075/kw/pending%20reboot