Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Adding new tabs within the Secondary Contacts tab

Tuned Listener

Adding new tabs within the Secondary Contacts tab

I would like to duplicate the "Business Address" tab and create a "Home Address" tab within the "Secondary Contacts" tab.  How do I do that? 

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Adding new tabs within the Secondary Contacts tab

Hello George,
Unfortunately, modification of that dialog box is not possible in the ACT! program interface. The only way I can think of to do this would be have a consultant or someone with programming knowledge use the ACT! SDK to create a custom dialog box for secondary contacts.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Tuned Listener

Thank you for your advice.  Would this option be considered for future development?  I multi-task my ACT! for persoanl, business, and my volunteer work.  In the area of Volunteer work - LIONS club in particular, we have multiple local chapters and memebrship with both personal and business information.  It would be logcial not to mix them but at the same time able to group and access the infromation by club level.  I believe it happens to me, it happens to any other volunteers who involve in this situation.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Don't add them as secondary contacts but as primary contacts and use relationships to do the grouping that you want.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Bronze Super Contributor

Keep in mind there numerous disadvantages to secondary contacts, including you cannot create history, notes, etc. for them and they also do not show up in the "normal" lookups...

Tuned Listener

I have create a record of the club and its individual members.  I use the club record as base and relate the members under the club as "member".  Is this the way to do it?

Tuned Listener

It seems "Group", "Secondary Contacts", and "Relationship" are doing more or less the same functions.  What are their differences, and what are their shortcomings?  Can you identify some typical uses for each?

Copper Elite Contributor

For what it's worth, I have my Church set up as a Company , and also a Group.

The fulltime staff are Contacts in the Church as a company.

The members, volunteers and ministry team members I work with are in various subgroups of the Church group. Several of these people are already contacts in Companies I already deal with. For the rest I enter their company details when I know them, or just leave them as contacts only. I have about 40 contacts, all private and not linked to a company, and that does not cause any problems.

Cheers,

Graham.

Bronze Super Contributor

I think what you will find, that there are many ways to structure these kinds of "relations" between contacts and organizations.

Keep in mind, relationships only appear in the tab on the contact detail screen, there is no other place to view or list these.  Also, there is no relationship between relationships, so if I am looking at Mary's record, I only see the relationships in which Mary is a part - I cannot not build a "group" via relationships.

Groups are collections of contacts which can be added to the group by the user specifically selecting the contact(s) based upon something in your head, but not necessarily inferred by the actual data on the contact record (ad hoc/static group membership).  Or, you can assign rules/criteria to a group that will "add" contacts to it based upon the values of thier data - "All Contacts whose State = NY", etc.

Company records are very similar to groups in many of their capabilities (how you add contacts, the ability to add notes, history, etc.) but they come with more default fields - those that would tend to be descriptive of companies - and you can link contacts to a company record so that the address fields and others can be "pushed" down from the company record to the linked contacts (i.e. - "employees") when one of those fields is changed.

I would not use secondary records or relationships for what you are attempting to manage, but that is my opinion.