Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Adding licenses to ACT! 2006 installation

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Adding licenses to ACT! 2006 installation

We have ACT! 2006 installed on two computers and 5 licenses.
Up till now, we only had 2 users accessing the database, now we would like to allow 2 more users access (different permissions) for a total of 4.
I can't find where to add the additional licenses.
Clicking Help->Register ACT results in a box "This product has already been registered." with the option to "Remove Serial Number".
How do I add more licenses to this database?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
ActNovice

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author act_alias_ap
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Nickel Contributor m4y
Nickel Contributor

Re: Adding licenses to ACT! 2006 installation

Ok, so I understand your problem now... You cannot activate more than 2 users in the database because it only have a license for 1 user; and since you have only one or two computers, you cannot update the total of license by opening the database from other computers with additional single licenses...

Arf, what a problem! I never think about that...

What I'd try:

1. On existing computers, change the serial number (Help > Register ACT > Remove Serial Number > Enter the new one)

2. Open the main database and see if available license are now updated

If yes, repeat steps with all serial numbers. It is possible that ACT retains all licenses even if you change them after! In this case, you should be able to activate 5 users in your database.

I don't know what you can do in the USA, but maybe you can ask for replace your 5 single license by one 5-users license.

Xavier Nyssen

ACT! Certified Consultant @ Intuitis | Belgium
{ +32 64 45 08 00 | xavier@intuitis.be | http://intuitis.be }

View solution in original post

All Replies
Nickel Super Contributor

Hi

You'll need to install ACT on the other machines and register them. Once you register with the appropriate serial number, the first time you attempt to open the shared database, it should recognize that there is a different serial number and allow the new user to log in. It should then also update the ammount of users allowed in the database. 

AJones wrote:

Hi

You'll need to install ACT on the other machines and register them. Once you register with the appropriate serial number, the first time you attempt to open the shared database, it should recognize that there is a different serial number and allow the new user to log in. It should then also update the ammount of users allowed in the database. 

There are no other machines, just more users.
Installing ACT! on two computers is how I enabled 2 of the licenses, now I would like to add more users.
Nickel Contributor m4y
Nickel Contributor

You wrote that you have 5 licenses. Do you means that you've 5 distincts license number (for 1user each)?

Xavier Nyssen

Yes, 5 different licenses, 5 different CDs.
Solution
Accepted by topic author act_alias_ap
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Nickel Contributor m4y
Nickel Contributor

Ok, so I understand your problem now... You cannot activate more than 2 users in the database because it only have a license for 1 user; and since you have only one or two computers, you cannot update the total of license by opening the database from other computers with additional single licenses...

Arf, what a problem! I never think about that...

What I'd try:

1. On existing computers, change the serial number (Help > Register ACT > Remove Serial Number > Enter the new one)

2. Open the main database and see if available license are now updated

If yes, repeat steps with all serial numbers. It is possible that ACT retains all licenses even if you change them after! In this case, you should be able to activate 5 users in your database.

I don't know what you can do in the USA, but maybe you can ask for replace your 5 single license by one 5-users license.

Xavier Nyssen

Xavier Nyssen,

Your suggestion allowed me to add 2 more users to the database. I now have enough licenses for 4 active users in this database.
It was a little nerve wracking, I didn't want to lose the database or get locked out. I did this on the computer that was NOT hosting the database.
Hopefully ACT!/Sage won't complain when I install ACT! using these same numbers on the computers I am expecting to get sometime in the next few of months.

Thanks for the help!
ActNovice
Copper Super Contributor

A note to help other users with ACT 2007

I have 13 single licenses to ACT 2007 and needed to add them on my server to add more users and pack-up more remote databases to send out.  The local computer licenses are added over our network when they first unpack and open up their remote db and sync it.  But I had some people in remote locations with no internet access.  The only option was to add them as shown below. 

If you cannot connect to your local network the computers that have (or will have) licensed single copies of ACT 2007, then at the local server use Help>Register ACT menu item and click on the Add button and go through the whole registration process. It works smoothly. 

I would recommend that you first have the remote user install and register the ACT 2007 on their machine over the phone (1-866-795-3682).  Then add their serial number to your servers list as described above.  Then add them to the db users list and publish their remote db and send the remote db to them by CD to unpack.

PS, a really nice thing is the people at ACT can combine all your single user licenses into one multi user license if you want. Call them at 1-877-386-8083.