Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Adding letter templates to menu

Adding letter templates to menu

Hi everyone.  I just got ACT 10 after a long absence from ACT.   I used to use ACT way back in the early versions when Pat Sullivan still owned it...... but I digress.  The last version I had was v6.

It seems to me that there was a simple way to add a custom letter or email template onto the "write" dropdown menu.  Am I thinking of Goldmine?  Anyway, I can't seem to find an answer to this anywhere in the help menu.  I remember doing this in the  past and it was fairly simple.   Maybe I am thinking of Goldmine.....

Thanks

Pam

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Adding letter templates to menu

Hello Paralegal Pam,

Welcome to the Act! Online Community!

Yes, you can add templates to the toolbar, this will be done through the Tools > Customize > Menus and Toolbars option.  You will need to first create a 'Custom Command' and then through the Customize screens you can drag and drop the command onto the toolbar.  Before beginning the process, you will need to know the location of your database and the 'database files\Templates' folder.

Here is an article with the steps for creating a Custom Command and then how to add it to your menu bar: Customize Menu and Toolbar

Greg Martin
Sage

Thank you for the response, Greg.  Unfortunately, these are custom email templates that  am trying to add to the write menu, and everytime I click on them, the document launches in Word instead of Outlook.  Is there some way of specifying that it is supposed to be an email template?

Thanks

Pam

Platinum Super Contributor

Unfortunately I'm not aware of a way to do that. 

To save a couple of clicks, you can add the command 'Email Message (from template)' to the toolbar.

Greg Martin
Sage

......here's one for the suggestion box!

Thanks

Copper Contributor

Hello!

Bumping this thread from the graveyard.  I've got a customer who wants their .adt template added as a shortcut option to the contact detail toolbar, but to send via Outlook.

Added the custom command just splendidly, as always, but it sends the template to a word doc by default.

Any plans or tricks to getting it to send thru Outlook instead?  Perhaps I can write some sort of .bat file in order to send the command to merge the template via Outlook?

Thanks!

Twelve/Three Marketing, Inc.
Act! Certified Consultants
......Stephen Boulden
P: 716.837.5727 x104
E: stephen@twelvethree.com
Administrator

Hi Stephen,

I'm not aware of any tricks to force Act! to merge and .adt file to Outlook though a shortcut method. The only way to do this is via the Write > Email Message (from template) option.

Greg's suggestion above still applies.

I can see how this could be useful in some situations. There is an existing suggestion for this idea over in our Share Your Ideas board. Please give it a kudo to bump it up the ladder.

Copper Elite Contributor

Hi Stephen,

If you could live with using an addon which is part of our Act!+ package, there would be a clever solution available for you.

Our scripting tool “AutoData” will place a button (or many if you desire) into your contact layout, which will execute the whole process of creating an email from a specific template.

Here is a shot from my Demo database, showing Email buttons in the highlighted area:

act plus_autodata_shot.jpg

More Details here (it’s the site of our English distribution partner):

https://actsoftwareconsultants.co.uk/act-plus/

Proceed to the area named “AutoData”

Btw, if you find other things interesting on that page: You’ll get ALL the stuff in any case!

Andreas Schlesselmann
Melville-Schellmann GbR
Germany
www.melville-schellmann.de
Copper Contributor

Thanks Andreas! I don't think an add-on was what the customer had in mind, but you know what? It doesn't hurt to ask! I will float this by them.

If the customer is interested I will contact you regarding support. I have never used your Act!+ package so I would need some reliable & preferably US-based support I could go to with questions.
Act! Certified Consultants
......Stephen Boulden
P: 716.837.5727 x104
E: stephen@twelvethree.com