Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Adding a new user to shared ACT Pro 2012 database

Copper Contributor

Adding a new user to shared ACT Pro 2012 database

I have 2 users on ACT Pro 2012 and trying to add a third user to our shared contact database.

It's been a while since I've done this and can't remember the procedure.

I've installed ACT on his local computer and do I now just find the .pad file on our server and send that to him to place on his local computer so he can access the shared database? Where should I put this .pad file - in the ACT folder created when I installed the software? If anyone can give me a refresher on this I'd really appreciate it. Thanks

Silver Super Contributor

Re: Adding a new user to shared ACT Pro 2012 database

You will need to add him as a user to the database by going to Tools | Manage Users.  If you haven't already purchased a license for them you will need to do that as well.  As far as the PAD file is concerned I usually just drop them on the desktop.  That makes them pretty easy to find.  You can also put them in the folder the databases are in and you can find that by going to Tools | Preferences | General and checking to see what the setting is for Databases.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!
Copper Contributor

Stan,

Ok, I did forget to add him as a user to the database, that makes sense.

I purchased another boxed software for him (1 license) so I assume the database on the server should allow him on once I share the PAD file. Thanks for your help. I'll do a follow-up post if I have any issues.

Thanks,

J.R.

Copper Contributor

Stan,

I'm having some problems getting our user onto the shared database. I went to add him as a new user on our server and it says "active-pending" next to his name and still says 2 licenses even though I bought a third one and installed it on his local system.

I guess my question is how do I get the server to recognice his license and make him a full active user?

Also, I went ahead and put the PAD file on his desktop and when I tried to open it, it said I had to update the database and then it gave me an "error is application" message. Any ideas? Thanks 

Platinum Elite Contributor

You need to add the serial number to the database on the server.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Bronze Super Contributor

Jered,

It will be "Active-Pending" until that user logs on for the first time.

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org 
Silver Super Contributor

It sounds like the version of ACT! you installed for the new user is a later version than the one that the other users are using.  You will need to update everyone to the same version.  Do a Help | About on the new system and a Help | About on the old system and then update the old systems to the version the new system is using.  Before you do that back up the database in case something goes wrong.  This sort of thing is the reason it is usually easier, faster and better to get an ACT! Certified Consultant to come in and help you add users, set up scheduled backups, update the database, show you little tips & tricks to make using ACT! easier, you get the idea.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!
Copper Contributor

Thank you guys. That worked great. I just had to update ACT so everyone was on the same version.