Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Adding a lookup/group of contacts into a group en masse?

Tuned Listener

Adding a lookup/group of contacts into a group en masse?

Hi.

Currently I have one general Prospecting group set up, and within this group I have the prospects divided into sub-group categories. For example Prospects -> Teachers or Prospects -> Accountants.

I have just imported about 200 more names from an Excel sheet and I put them into the Prospect subgroup "Farming". So the ID/Status for these prospects is "farm" and I made a group to pull all of these. I want to also add the ID/Status of Prospect so that if I do a Prospect look up they will come up too. Right now they only come up in the "Farm" look up. Is there a way to add large groups or members of a subgroup into another group without having to manually type in their ID/Status to add the other category?

Hope this isn't too confusing.

Thanks.

Nickel Contributor m4y
Nickel Contributor

Re: Adding a lookup/group of contacts into a group en masse?

If your groups are dynamically generetad with queries on ID/Status field, why don't you edit this field to accept multiple values? In this case, you'll be able to set the status of a contact to "Farm; Prospect". Then edit your group queries... Prospect Group contact must have a status containing "Prospect"; Prospect-Farm Group must have a status containing Prospect and containing Farm.

Xavier Nyssen

ACT! Certified Consultant @ Intuitis | Belgium
{ +32 64 45 08 00 | xavier@intuitis.be | http://intuitis.be }
Tuned Listener

Hi.

Thanks for your reply. I am not sure if I quite understand the solution you have given me as being the answer to my question.

Currently the ID/Status drop down menu IS able to have more than one category selected. If I manually go into the "farm" people I can select "Prospect" and "Farm". I can do this manually with no problem.

Also, my groups are set up to look up using the criteria that ID/Status is equal to farm. What I want to do is have it automatically select "Prospect" from the drop down menu so that when I open up the "farm" people it also has "prospect" in the ID/Status drop down section.

I do not want to manually do this for 200+ people, I would like ACT! to do this for me. 

I only want it to be a one time event as well, since I hope that soon the prospect farm people will become clients. 

Nickel Contributor m4y
Nickel Contributor

Ah, sorry for misunderstanding.

In this case, create a lookup of all contact on this group, then go to Edit > Replace field menu; choose the ID/Status field and pick the 2 values "farm" and "prospect". Press OK, confirm the message that it will be affect all contact in the current lookup...

However, you should probably have to update the criteria of your dynamic group. If it currently lookup on "ID/Status=Farm", it will not show you the contact because nobody in your database will have this status ("Farm" is not equal to "Farm; Prospect" status). So, update the criteria and replace "equal to Farm" by "contains Farm" Smiley Wink

Xavier Nyssen

ACT! Certified Consultant @ Intuitis | Belgium
{ +32 64 45 08 00 | xavier@intuitis.be | http://intuitis.be }
Copper Contributor

Good call on this one, it works like a charm instead of having to invoke each contact with a new ID Status field.

Thanks Joe