Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Adding Label fields

Adding Label fields

I'm trying to create a mailing label using the Avery 5160 label template.  The label template shows Custom, [C:Company], [C:Address 1], [C:Address2], Custom which produces 3 lines on the label when printed, Company name, Street Address, and City/State/Zip.  How do I add another field for "Department"? 
If I attempt to insert a new field between Company and Address1 where I want the new field, it just pops it down on top of the other fields. If I try to drag the other fields down and insert the new field, the City/State/Zip does not print on the label.  The Avery label has sufficient room for another line but all I can get to print is 3 lines.
Can anyone clue me in on what I'm doing wrong and how to insert the extra field?
Thanks,
Jake

Re: Adding Label fields

I also can't figure out what the "custom" does on the first line and last line of the Avery 5160 label template.  From what I see on the label template it doesn't look like it would print the city, state and zip code on the label but it does. There are no city, state and zip code fields shown on the template yet it prints on the label.
I still have not been able to figure out a way to get the "Department" field from my contact to print on the label. HELP!!  Thanks,  Jake
Platinum Elite Contributor

In the case of that label the custom fields are used to concatenate data fields such as city, state and zip into a single properly spaced field. The data fields are present in the label only hidden. The custom field use either a Visual Basic expression or a Visual Basic script to control what and now the data is printed in the custom field.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Thanks Roy. I assumed those "custom" fields were doing something behind the scenes.  Does their action prevent me from adding a "Department" field to this label template? I'm about ready to dive into creating my own lable and giving up on the ACT template.

Never mind.... I figured out a solution.  I deleted the "Address2" field which does not contain data in my records. I then moved "Address1" down to the space where "Address2" had been then inserted the "Department" field in the spot where "Address1" had been and it worked.