Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Adding A Field From Contact Design Layout

Bronze Contributor

Adding A Field From Contact Design Layout

ACT 2010

Windows 7 - Home Premium

I needed to add a yes/no field to the contact layout screen.  I went to the Contact Design Layout as I thought the field had already been created. 

I then selected the button to create the field, but when I clicked "finish" I received "Object reference not set to an instance of an object.".  (This seems to be a catch all error phrase).

I couldn't close the session and create a field the normal way and had to close ACT through the Task Manager.

Is this a known problem or did I miss something.

Also, will posting this problem here be enough for ACT to respond?

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, & Exchange 2013 & Office 365, 32bit
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013
Bronze Super Contributor

Re: Adding A Field From Contact Design Layout

John -

In my experience, randomly occuring errors like that can often be cleared up by closing and then re-opening the application and trying again.

Barring that, I would verify that the field is in fact listed in the 'Define Fields' tool.  If it is, try adding the field to a different layout - one of the default ones (be sure to save it to a new name of course) and see if that works correctly.

If it works on other layouts, but not on the one you originally attempted to add it to, perhaps that layout is corrupt.  In that case, perhaps you can restore a backup from a few weeks back (be sure to Restore AS and save to a different name and location), and then with Act! closed copy the layout from the freshly restored database to the live one - you will want to either change the name of the layout you are copying or move the potentially bad one to another folder so as not to overwrite it.

Then see if you can continue with your customization on the file.

Bronze Contributor

Re: Adding A Field From Contact Design Layout

Scott, good suggestions, but the point was that one is supposed to create a field when in the design layout mode.  I have no problems placing a field that was created in the standard field create process.

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, & Exchange 2013 & Office 365, 32bit
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013