Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Add to Lookup vs Replace Lookup

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Super Contributor
Accepted Solution

Add to Lookup vs Replace Lookup

Recently, I performed a company lookup, then highlight several contacts, right-clicked and chose Lookup Selected Contacts. I then wanted to add a single contact from another company. When I performed a Contact Lookup for the new contact I wanted to add, then clicked the drop down menu under For The Current Lookup, the only option I was given was Replace Lookup. I know in the past I've seen Add to Lookup as an option. Where did it go? And, why would they take that feature away? It's a common task I have tried to perform. Now, the only option is to perform a Lookup of All Contacts, and choose each contact I want to lookup one by one, highlight them with a Control-Click, and hope I don't accidentally miss one before choosing Lookup Selected Contacts. Very onerous.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author okiehiker
‎07-22-2016 09:19 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Add to Lookup vs Replace Lookup

Any lookup that starts from the lookup menu or from the right click context lookup menu. Lookups that start from a create lookup generally can't be chained.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

View solution in original post

All Replies

It didn't go anywhere but not all lookups can be chained. I'm not sure I completely followed what you were trying to do but if I understand it correct that series of lookups couldn't be chained.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Super Contributor

If you follow my actions step by step, you can easily recreate what I'm asking about. If it isn't able to be chained, it sure seems like it should be. Can you give me an example of a lookup that CAN be chained.

Solution
Accepted by topic author okiehiker
‎07-22-2016 09:19 AM

Any lookup that starts from the lookup menu or from the right click context lookup menu. Lookups that start from a create lookup generally can't be chained.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Super Contributor

That's very helpful. Thanks. Though, it would be a nice enhancement if we could chain from a create lookup.

That's not really possible. The lookups that can be chained are,really SQL queries and the chaining simply adds additional qualifiers to the query. The create lookup option in a list view isn't a query but uses the links between tables to create the group of contacts.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Super Contributor

Gotcha. OK. At least you gave me some good direction on how to perform an add-to lookup. It still requires another step of sorting, but it's not as bad as picking contacts out of a full list. Thanks for all your help.