Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Active Directory migration question

Accepted Solution Solved
Astute Commentator
Accepted Solution

Active Directory migration question

We installed ACT7 for workgroups Premium in one AD domain, created on Windows 2003 servers.

We have just create a new AD domain that is Windows Server 2008 based. Both domains are active for the time being.

What steps do we need to go through to make sure ACT will still work when the old domain is turned off?

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author andoven
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Silver Contributor

Re: Active Directory migration question

My first concern is that if you are installing ACT 7 (ACT 2005) you will most likely have problems with a  Server 2008 machine if it works at all.  If you have mistyped the ACT version, you may be ok, but for sure make sure the version of ACt  you have is compatibly with Server 2008.

With that said, maie sure that users and read/write and have full permissions to the shared folder where the database lives. Do a test move of hte database, make sure it shares out.

Do you have sync users?.  basically beyond compatibliity of the software, and permissions to the new share, nothing really needs to be done as far as active directory. ACT has it's own user configuration and permissions which are not inheriteed from AD.

Have you installed ACT on the new machine?  Can you start up and share the demo database?

There are more questions than answers here. I'd be happy to have a short conversation with you if you wish.  let me know.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author andoven
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Silver Contributor

My first concern is that if you are installing ACT 7 (ACT 2005) you will most likely have problems with a  Server 2008 machine if it works at all.  If you have mistyped the ACT version, you may be ok, but for sure make sure the version of ACt  you have is compatibly with Server 2008.

With that said, maie sure that users and read/write and have full permissions to the shared folder where the database lives. Do a test move of hte database, make sure it shares out.

Do you have sync users?.  basically beyond compatibliity of the software, and permissions to the new share, nothing really needs to be done as far as active directory. ACT has it's own user configuration and permissions which are not inheriteed from AD.

Have you installed ACT on the new machine?  Can you start up and share the demo database?

There are more questions than answers here. I'd be happy to have a short conversation with you if you wish.  let me know.

(866)710 4228

Astute Commentator

Our ACT!2007 (sorry for the previous typo). Premium for Workgroups has been installed and working fine on our Windows Server 2003 platform for years.  There is no plan at this time to setup a Windows Server 2008 to run  ACT!2007 Premium for Workgroups. Nothing on the ACT server will be changing.

The only change will be to drop our old Active Directory domain. Based on your statement "nothing really needs to be done as far as active directory. ACT has it's own user configuration and permissions which are not inherited from AD" I am thinking that ACT!2007 Premium for Workgroups should not have any issues once we turn off the old domain.

Thanks for your feedback!

Silver Contributor

Test is first.  The issue will be permissions. These you should be able to test before you go live.

(866)710 4228