Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Activation of old versions of ACT

Highlighted
Nickel Super Contributor

Re: Activation of old versions of ACT

Not sure if you’re referring to Act! 2013 or v13 (v2011), but neither of them are certified to work with Windows 10 (www.act.com/systreq). 

Either way, your activation issues were caused by the retirement of the protexis licensing service I was referencing in my post.  No one likes to upgrade unwillingly, but 6-8 years return on a CRM purchase is not bad mileage, and I hope your v21 or v22 purchase lasts into mid to late next decade, as well.

Ken Quigley, BA, MCSE, ACC, APT
Toronto, Ontario
www.keystroke.ca
Highlighted
Silver Contributor

[ Edited ]

Item withdrawn by Chip as original source of information has now deleted item so can no longer verify their comments.

Highlighted
Nickel Super Contributor

So despite the fact you purchased your software from Sage, and Swiftpage didn’t see one dime from your purchase 6-8 years ago, you believe they owe you a remedy? Sorry, but I do not agree. I get why you’re upset your software stopped working, it it’s a leap to suggest Swiftpage owes you.
Toronto, Ontario
www.keystroke.ca
Highlighted
Copper Super Contributor

I don't believe Swiftpage owes me support or anything anything. I only expected them to activate my version. Should cost you  nothing.

Highlighted
Nickel Super Contributor

Sorry, but that’s just not accurate. This is why they only supported the latest service pack and hotfix of each version going back to v18, because every release took a lot of time & money. In fact, when this process first started, and I pointed out they had to support v20.0 and v20.1 because the former had Office 2010 compatibility and the latter didn’t, it took them over a month to build it. It’s much more involved that you realize, and expecting them to absorb the time & cost to retrofit the licensing for versions that pre-date their ownership wasn’t going to happen.

Toronto, Ontario
www.keystroke.ca
Highlighted
Silver Contributor

[ Edited ]

Highlighted
Nickel Super Contributor

I was referring to Swiftpage.

You felt Swiftpage should have retrofitted your version with the new licensing system (Soroco) despite them not having owned Act! when you purchased it. I disagree, and was pointing out that your request was not as small as you were suggesting since it took them three months to support the license migration for the supported versions (v18.2, v19.2, v20.0, v20.1, and v21). 

Instead, Swiftpage steeply discounted all the Act! software by 33% for 5 of the last 6 months so people could either subscribe to new software or upgrade their perpetual. Most of the Act! world responded to this notice by upgrading their Act! and thereby enjoyed continued uninterrupted access to their data.

You ignored the countless notices from Swiftpage (and every Act! Consultant in the world), but expect the same uninterrupted access as the others now that you finally feel the effect of the license service retirement everyone was warning about. 

I get that you're upset about having to spend money on Act! twice in 9-years, but there is a reason Act! has an Obsolescence Policy (which Sage first put into place in 2011), and that is to define which versions are supported and which ones are not. Your Act! v13 was produced in late 2010. Not only is that version obsolete, but the SQL version it runs on, namely SQL2008, was deprecated by Microsoft within the last year, as well.

Take advantage of the sale going on right now, and upgrade while you can for 33% off, because if you wait until January the price almost doubles from $199 to $349, and then at the end of June next year Act! Pro will be pulled from the market permanently. If you purchase between now and mid November you'll get both Act! Pro v21 and free fulfillment for v22 (purchase link is https://www.keystroke.ca/en/brand/Product/act-pro-v21.html). 

Toronto, Ontario
www.keystroke.ca
Highlighted
Copper Super Contributor

I don't need lecture; I've already purchases Pro 2020 and it doesn't do anything for me--perhaps some feel otherwise. I'm complaining about a company policy that makes no sense other than forcing upgrades. I didn't ask you to support my ACT Pro 13.

Highlighted
Nickel Super Contributor

If you're asking for an 8 year old version of Act! to be retrofitted with the new licensing system, that is what software companies call "support". You can call it a "policy" if you like, but my explanation (read "lecture") was to offer reasoning in that context.

As you've taken my explanation differently than intended, I won't contribute anything further to this thread.

Toronto, Ontario
www.keystroke.ca
Highlighted
Copper Contributor

2013 was 6 years ago, not 8, and it was only 5 years old when I was forced to upgrade last November from v2013 as well. The statement about steep discounts is also entirely untrue. I was forced to pay full price for every single license. Then just 4 months later, they release version 21.1, but won’t let anyone upgrade to it without paying for it again. I gave Swiftpage the benefit of the doubt originally, but this basically turned out to be the old Bait and Switch.