Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Acting up on Citrix

Acting up on Citrix

I had an absolute nightmare installing Act on Citrix. I wanted to install the database on a separate SQL server and the application on our 4 Citrix servers. Even though I followed the separate SQL install guide, the only way I could get it to work was to install the whole application on the SQL server but use the SQL express instance, then share it. I couldn't find a way of installing the DB on the SQL server. I've also installed the whole app on the Citrix servers, including the SQL express instance but without creating a DB instance. Installing the app and the database separately just doesn't work.

Next problem is that all the users logged onto the Citrix servers have Actsage.exe and Act.Outlook.Service.exe processes running, even though they are not using Act by Sage at all. We have a 5 user license for Act by Sage but 20-30 users on the Citrix servers are running these processes, per server, without their knowledge and it's hogging the servers' processors. I found an article that said use a login script to run the Act.Outlook.Service.exe for authorised users and use another logoff script to kill the processes using ActServiceKill.cmd. I can't believe that this is the only way to control these processes?

We have Act! by Sage 2010 basic (rubbish!) version, running on Windows Server 2003 and Citrix Presentation Server 4.0.

Perhaps it was just never meant to run on Citrix or a separate SQL server. It would seem to be a PC application as it is not at all userfriendly to install and configure.

Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: Acting up on Citrix

Unfortunately from the original design of ACT! there has been little consideration for it running as a Terminal Server or Citrix application. It is supported but hasn't had the focus of development.  Applications in such environments should be designed to take into account the shared registry running on Citrix and Terminal Server. Storing program-specific information in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE while user-specific information is strictly in HKEY_CURRENT_USER goes a long way toward that.The ACT! SQL instance can be connected to other than SQL Express such as SQL Enterprise which you possibly have running on backend SQL servers.

While not ideal we have many clients on Citrix and Terminal Server, best advice is to monitor  Application Event logs for a while after install to ensure ACT! is not generating errors.

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Bronze Elite Contributor

I think large deployments of Act on SQL is an ideal method of using Act. 

Just a few simple configurations can make this lower impact.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

This shows Act Preloader and Act.Outlook. You can delete both of these and you will not have the Actsage.exe or act.outlook.service.exe running for each user. Note this means that histories will not be generated for Outlook messages. You can configure each Windows user to have this process run by including it in their startup script or in the registry under HKCU instead of HKLM. 

Right now it is best to install the application on the SQL server, but you can certainly use your own SQL Standard instance 

Attached is a guide for using Act in Citrix. 

Copper Contributor

This is good info - Thank you!   Benjamin, please advise on the status of fixing/redesigning the ACT! Scheduler so Terminal and/or Citrix users can use it to copy their calendars.   I would be happy to discuss this with you in detail offline.

John Kaufman

The CRM Connection

John Kaufman
john@thecrmconnection.com
www.thecrmconnection.com

ACT! BPAC Member - Want your voice heard? Contact me or any of the other BPAC Members
Bronze Elite Contributor

Feature request 89069 ACT! Scheduler runs for only one user in a Terminal Services environment. This will not be in v12.1. Projects beyond that are not complete and have not been assigned their capacity. 
Copper Contributor

Was this fixed for ACT! 2011?

Best Regards,

Chuck