Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act9 loses Email set up on every restart.

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Elite Contributor
Accepted Solution

Act9 loses Email set up on every restart.

Suddenly, after a couple of years normal use, after a restart, when  I go to send an email to a contact my Act9 tells me I need to set up email, and directs me to the Email Set Up Wizard. I do that and everything is back to normal, Contact list, history etc all ok. Any clues as to why, or how to fix? It is annoying and random behaviour makes me nervous. It has happened once or twice in the past, but stopped as quickly as it came, I put it down to an Outlook crash then. But now keeps happening for no apparent reason.

XP, Act9, Outlook 2002.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author GrahamS
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Re: Act9 loses Email set up on every restart.

Try rebuilding your user preferences.

1. Close ACT!
  2. Navigate to the following location:
    C:\Documents and Settings\<User_Name>\Application Data\ACT\ACT for Windows <version>
        For Vista: C:\Users\<User_Name>\AppData\Roaming\ACT\ACT for Windows <version>
  3. Delete the following files if present: preferencesBak.XML, preferencesBak3.xml, preferencesBak6.xml, preferencesBak9.xml
  4. Open the Preferences folder and delete USPreferences206.xml and USPrefrences208.xml.old
  5. Open ACT!

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author GrahamS
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Try rebuilding your user preferences.

1. Close ACT!
  2. Navigate to the following location:
    C:\Documents and Settings\<User_Name>\Application Data\ACT\ACT for Windows <version>
        For Vista: C:\Users\<User_Name>\AppData\Roaming\ACT\ACT for Windows <version>
  3. Delete the following files if present: preferencesBak.XML, preferencesBak3.xml, preferencesBak6.xml, preferencesBak9.xml
  4. Open the Preferences folder and delete USPreferences206.xml and USPrefrences208.xml.old
  5. Open ACT!

Copper Elite Contributor

This is a bizarre error! Today my Act9 is behaving nrmally again, like nothing happened, sending emails from the Contact email hyperlink or email button like it should.

However, always keen to kill of redundant files.

Found preferencesBak.XML only (not Bak3,6 or 9), so got rid of that.

Also found AUpreferences206.xml, and AUpreferences206.xml.old, which I assume are my regional versions, so deleted them (well moved them somewhere else actually). (Sorry, forgot to state XP Home SP3, Outlook 2002).

Also found a list as follows:

AUpreferences206.xmlbad01292009073703.txt  through to

AUpreferences206.xmlbad10202008020209.txt (10 entries). They seem to have info relating to my custom activities (I can't read script). Are they relevant?

All working ok still. Thanks for responding.

Graham.

I'm having this same problem with Act 2006 ver 8.  Is the fix the same?
Platinum Super Contributor

The steps for rebuilding the Preference files are basically the same.  For detailed instructions you can visit this link: Calendar shows mini-calendars.

I recommend skipping directly to the section 'Manually delete Act! Preferences'.

If you are not integrated with Outlook (you are using Internet Email or Outlook Express), pay close attention to the the first steps on backing up and restoring your email database. 

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Elite Contributor

Hi,

Interesting to see this thread come up again. David's solution certainly worked for me, the problem has not resurfaced since. I have now (albeit belatedly given it a Solved sticker!

Cheers, Graham.

Greg/Graham:

Thanks for the replies.  I deleted the files based on David's instructions for Act9.  If I continue to have difficulty, I'll look to Greg's manual deleting instructions.  My industry requires very lengthy signatures for each email, and I won't re-enter if it's not necessary.

Greg,

I'm back to having same problem with Act 2006 v. 8.0.2.82 with Windows XP Pro.  Now every couple of days Act needs to be set up.  My database is still there, but preferences have to be re-established, saved fonts changed, etc.  The most aggregating and time consuming is having to set up email again.  I have a very detailed signature that has to be attached to outgoing emails.  The whole process from start to finish takes well over an hour.  I followed your instructions for deleting preferences, but must have missed a step.  All works fine for a few days, but then have to start over.

thanks,

Dave

Copper Elite Contributor

Hi Dave,

Sorry to hear you are still having a problem, I know how irritating that can be.

Mine has been pretty stable since the solution above. I keep up a few hygene habits that are as much ACT folklore as proven techniques but seem to minimise my issues:

1. My ACT is on a laptop so I am rebooting daily.

2. I do a Check and Repair fairly often, say about fortnightly.

3. I always start Outlook before ACT. My Outlook 2002 is a bit crashy anyway, so usually if I have to close one, I will close both and open Outlook again first. At the moment ACT is even remembering my custom Calendar alarm!

It seems we need to know how to back up a good copy of our preference files and I would also like to know how to do that.

Graham.

Graham,

I'm pretty good at the ongoing maintenance stuff and have learned most the hard way. Good idea about opening outlook before Act...hadn't heard that tip before.  One thing I did notice while reviewing the string is that I did skip one of Greg's steps.  Hopefully running this thru again will give me the stability you've experienced.

Regards,

Dave