Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act11 Startup Performance

Act11 Startup Performance

I'm running Act11 (just installed) on an Acer Laptop with Vista and 4GB of RAM.

When I first installed it, it seemed to start up OK, but now it takes 13 minutes

to start up. Clearly there is something wrong, it's probably waiting for something

and timing out I would think.

Any ideas? Anybody else notice this?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Act11 Startup Performance

There could be more than one cause for this:

1) See if the information in this Knowledgebase article helps:

How To Configure Database Warmup From ACT! Diagnostics

2) User Account Control (UAC) in Vista

How to Disable User Account Control (UAC) in Windows Vista®

3) Damaged preferences file

How To Rebuild ACT! Preferences Using the ACT! Diagnostics Utility

4) ACT! may be having trouble accessing the database you are trying to open (is the database on a server, or on your local machine?).  Try opening the Demo database (ACT11Demo) and see if the same thing happens

5) There may be another application interfering with ACT! (i.e., firewall, antivirus), in which you can try rebooting you machine in selective startup mode:

How to Reboot Windows Vista® in Selective Startup

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Re: Act11 Startup Performance

Thanks for your response, I've noted your suggestions for later.

However, the performance problem started suddenly, and it would hang for a long time even before the splash screen, so I don't think it even got to the database. I dropped back to ACT9, fortunately I still had a backup of the ACT9 database, and it works fine, starts up relatively much faster.

I updated to ACT11 to get email to work on Vista, but silly me, ACT still can't send mail through non-standard ports (which most email servers now require), I figured with the demise of Outlook they would have figured out how to do this but I was wrong. Even stupider me, I activated it because I thought email would work, now I'm stuck with a version that's no better than ACT9 that I was using.

Or can you suggest a way to send email from the ACT11 email client (or anything else for that matter) that will allow sending to use port 465 and SSL (like Comcast and gmail and probably others require)? What are users supposed to do on Vista - with which ACT11 is supposed to work?