Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act wont synch on windows xp

Act wont synch on windows xp

I am running Act 14 on a number of computers including one that runs on windows xp. All of the other computers work fine but the one on xp. The computer is capable of accepting incoming synchs but is not capable of sending an outgoing and it either doesn't even have a "synchronize now" button or it is greyed out. I have read that a possible solution is to turn off the Windows firewall completely however this is not an option for us. Also my understanding from what I have read is that would be for a computer that can't synchronize in any direction. Any help I could recieve on this would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Act wont synch on windows xp

bump
Platinum Elite Contributor

There's a lot of detail information missing in your description so I have to do some guessing. I assume that you're talking about synchronizing ACT! databases. Also from your description it sounds like the XP machine is the host for the database and the other machines are syncing to that machine. If so, the host can't initiate the sync so the database on the XP machine wouldn't have a synchronize now option. Only the remotes can initiate synchronization.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Roy, i am talking about synching databases. I don't believe the computer running xp is the host. I did not set the system up but it wouldn't make sense and I don't know how to find out what computer is. The computer in question can receive apl the changes to contacts and tasks after another computer syncs but no changes made by it can be seen on other computers.
Thank you

The fact that the XP computer can receive sync information but doesn't have the Sync Now option available indicates that it's the host computer for the database. Changes made on the XP computer should transfer to the other computers when they sync with the host.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Is there anyway to change what computer is the host without creating a new database? I do not see changes on other computers when they sync with the host.

No you would need to do aq complete new sync setup. There could be several reasons why the updates aren't transferring including how the sync is setup. My suppestion would be to have an ACC check over youwhole setup including the sync setup. IMHO it sounds like the setup is less than ideal.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Bronze Contributor

I concur with Roy's suggestion.  Just a point of clarification, and you probably already know this.

When Roy said create a new db, he is not suggesting that you start from scratch and import your data; he is saying to select the system you want to be a host and create a removt db from that.  Then move that db to the other identified remote systems and create them

I strongly suggest that you create a backup at each location just to be on the safe side. 

This is a solution I have followed in the past when systems would not sync.

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB, Win 10 Pro, & Office 365, 32bit