Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act v16 Mail Merge Stopped Working

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Act v16 Mail Merge Stopped Working

Hey there,

I'm hoping someone out there can help point me in the right direction for a sudden mail merge problem a customer of mine is having.

7 Computers with this same config:

Act! Pro v 16.3.11.0

Office/Outlook 2013 (32-bit click-to-run)

E-mail editor set to Outlook

Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

As of today all 7 computers are failing to perform mail merges.  They had been working fine for the past few months.  There are no errors on the screen or in the Event Logs.  Here is what happens:

User goes to Write >> Mail Merge >> Email >> Select template >> Selected Group with 5 test contacts all with valid email addresses >> Enter subject >> Omit >> Finish

Merging records box comes up on the screen and then goes away.  The data from the merge is passed to Outlook and it creates a single new email with all of the correct content but only for ONE user out of the selected group (I'll call this USERA). It does not auto send the emails and it does not create the merged new email except for USERA.  It does not create drafts for any of the other people in the group.

USERA seems to always be the last person alphabetically in the group that I select.

I have tried multiple templates, some with HTML and others without.  I've also tried default instead of custom templates but this has no effect on the outcome.

If I set the e-mail editor to Act instead of Outlook and then walk through the exact same process described above, the email does get sent but only to USERA.

I'm somewhat stumped here and any help is greatly appreciated.  I'm aware that Act v16 seems to not fully support Outlook 2013 (or maybe just the click-to-run version?) but this had been working without issue on all 7 machines for months.  

Thanks

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author eth0
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Employee

Re: Act v16 Mail Merge Stopped Working

Hi Eth0.

Do they have the same issue in other databases, for example, the Demo Database? If not, I would suggest backing up & then running a Check & Repair in their database. You can do this via Tools > Database Maintenance > Check & Repair.

Do they have the same issue when selecting a lookup of contacts rather than a group?

What result do they get if they select the output as Word Processor?

Has Outlook been upgraded or reinstalled recently?

Thanks,

Kate Price
Swiftpage Technical Support

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author eth0
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Employee

Hi Eth0.

Do they have the same issue in other databases, for example, the Demo Database? If not, I would suggest backing up & then running a Check & Repair in their database. You can do this via Tools > Database Maintenance > Check & Repair.

Do they have the same issue when selecting a lookup of contacts rather than a group?

What result do they get if they select the output as Word Processor?

Has Outlook been upgraded or reinstalled recently?

Thanks,

Kate Price
Swiftpage Technical Support

Thank you very much for your response.  I just tested from one of the computers using the Demo Database and it worked with no problems.  

I have a Check & Repair scheduled for 7PM EDT tonight and hopefully that solves the problem.  I'll update this forum with my results.

Again, thank you for your response.

I was able to do the backup and Check/Repair a little early and it did help but it doesn't seem to have completely fixed the problem.

Now when I do a merge (doesn't matter if it's by group or current lookup) all of the emails are created in the drafts folder and all of them are successfully sent out with the exception of the first one that was created.  So if I do a merge with 10 contacts, 9 of them will receive the emails but the one that was sent to the drafts folder first will not send.  I have to open it and manually click send.

Strangely enough if I create a dummy draft email and leave it sitting in the drafts folder, and then rerun the exact same mail merge, all 10 contacts will receive the emails.  

Word processor merges work fine

I am going to consider this solved for now but I'll have them keep a close eye on their draft folders.  This particular customer is eligible for an upgrade to v17 and I'm hoping that will yield better results.

Thanks again for you help