Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act upgrade difficulties

Copper Super Contributor

Act upgrade difficulties

It continues to be amazing the degree to which Sage cannot properly manage its own products.  With respect to the recent Hotfix, here are some of the issues I faced:

1) While Sage said that SP1 had to be implemented before the update to could be installed, it provided no way for the user to readily identify whether or not it had been installed.  It did not, for example, indicate the minimum required version number.  (While Hotfix's are noted in the "About Act!" menu, for some incomprehensible reason, SP's are not, so it is not obvious whether or not it's been installed

2)The "Check for Updates" routine does not notify that there is a Service Pack applicable to that version of Act.

3)  Updating the database generates a Schema update failure message even when logged on as an Administration with UAC disabled.  No solution or explanation is provided.  (Apparently, more often than not the message can be ignored.

4) The Hotfix 3 routine did not terminate property upon conclusion.

Now everybody can have bad days.  But, for Sage, every day is a bad day, because Act continues to be riddled with bugs, just as it has from the day that Sage acquired it from Norton many years ago.

Bronze Contributor

Re: Act upgrade difficulties

Interact.  Sage acquired ACT! & SalesLogix from Interact - the renamed SalesLogix company founded by Pat Sullivan, inventor of ACT!

Pat Sullivan & SalesLogix bought ACT! back from Symantec, to whom he had sold it years before.  One of Symantec's brands was Norton, who they acquired from Peter Norton.

Signature
Copper Super Contributor

DIdn't know that.  You are correct.  It was Symantec, not Norton.  But it must have been very early in the process that Symantec acquired the product, because when I first started using it, it was still DOS based, although provided by Symantec.  Even so, as long as Symantec had it, it was always carefully crafted.  After Sage took over, it quickly morphed into an exceedingly buggy product.  That's what led to my tirade.  I am so tired of spending hours dealing with this or that issue solely caused by incomplete testing.  (This is not mere speculation have been several times a Beta tester on this product, and I have seen them issue a new version with meaningful known issues outstanding.)  Sage has a culture of getting the product out quickly even if incomplete, presumptively so that it can start earning revenue.  That said, it's somewhat better now, although not nearly what it should be in terms of being solid.  Nevertheless, the current version has, in nine months, gone through 2 hotfixes, a Service Pack, and three more hot fixes.  All were primarily intended to address bugs.  That's a lot of bugs.

Copper Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

It develops that the upgrade killed Sage Mobile of Act. 

Bug after bug after bug.

[Edit: Content removed. Please post courteously per Community Guidelines]

Copper Super Contributor

In addition to all the above, the update killed Sage Mobile for Act, and Sage doesn't respond to all my repeated requests for them to help me address the results of  their bug.  Unbelievable.