Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act-to-Outlook sync duplication issue

Copper Contributor

Act-to-Outlook sync duplication issue

[ Edited ]

I accept meetings in Outlook, they get synchronized to Act successfully, but then ANOTHER COPY gets synced BACK to Outlook so there are two, and the new one shows up as being organized by me, not the person who sent the meeting in the first place. So then not only do I have two (sometimes THREE) copies, but all but one don't get updated when an Outlook update comes in. Why can't Act just synchronize one way like CompanionLink does?

And forget it if you want to use a remote database when you travel, like I do. I sync to a remote Act DB on my laptop when I go away, but heaven forbid you sync to Outlook from he remote DB, because EVERYTHING including calendar and contacts will get DUPLICATED because the Outlook synchronizer keeps track of what it has done based on a computer-by-computer basis, not on a database basis. And I just migrated from one computer to a new one, and wouldn't you know it, duplicate city.

Who designs this stuff? Is it really so hard to keep track of what appointments have been synchronized from Outlook and not create duplicates and mess up not only the Act DB but also the Outlook one? I spend more time chasing down duplicates than I do performing the tasks Act is supposed to be enabling to do.

Thank you for letting me vent.

[edit: Subject edited to match issue.  Please post courteously.]

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Act-to-Outlook sync duplication issue

[ Edited ]

Hello bnchester,
For the first issue you described, do you have the option to create an ACT! activity when an Outlook meeting invite is accepted? If so, you should select the "None" option, as that creates a new activity that ACT! will sync over to Outlook. To get to this setting, go to Tools > Preferences > Email and Outlook Sync tab > Email System Setup > Screen 7 in the setup wizard.

For the second issue, we do not recommend syncing Outlook with ACT! on both a remote and main database when the same user is actively using both. This can cause issues as you are using two different Outlook profiles and two different ACT! calendar sync metadata files which can result in two sets of activity data. Please choose one database to have the Outlook sync on, whichever one you use the most.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

OK I tried your solution to #1 and we'll see how it goes. (And I saw the thread got renamed Smiley Happy)

As for the second issue, so I take a trip for two weeks with my laptop, meeting 100 new people that I put into Act, but I can't sync them to my Outlook and therefore my mobile phone until I get home to my desktop, where the parent database resides.So my fresh new contacts aren't available for e-mail or phone for a couple of weeks because if I sync from the remote database it will crap up my main database with duplicates. I'm sorry, but this sync feature was not designed by anybody who has ever used the software themselves for a business reason. Basic use case fellas: people want to enter people and meetings that come up during road trips and have them in the database and synced immediately, not some week in the future when we have access to a particular piece of hardware to which our metedata is tethered. It's the SAME database syncing with the SAME exchange mail box, for crying out load.

I agree with you 100%. The sync feature wasn't designed by anyone who uses it for a business reason. Palm and Outlook worked VERY well together with no duplication because they communicated well.

I think the problem is that Sage and MicroSoft both feel like they're the king. Everyone should bow to their way of doing things. In this case, they're both right... and they're both wrong. Outlook is very good at coordinating calendars (both corporate and personal) with contacts and email... on a basic level. ACT! takes the contacts and calendar parts and moves them to a whole other level of sophistication. They don't work together, though.

They need to get together and work out a way to communicate. I don't think anyone has any idea how to do that, though.