Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act software update reminder

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Elite Contributor
Accepted Solution

Act software update reminder

How can I stop the Act software 'look for updates' reminder from popping up? (ACT9) (When it does, it has a nasty habit of resetting a lot of preferences, and opening the set-up wizard).

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author GrahamS
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Bronze Super Contributor

Re: Act software update reminder

Graham,

Go to Tools|Preferences and select the Startup tab. Uncheck the "Automatically check for updates every..." tick box.

HTH

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org 

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author GrahamS
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Bronze Super Contributor

Graham,

Go to Tools|Preferences and select the Startup tab. Uncheck the "Automatically check for updates every..." tick box.

HTH

David Shaw
Copper Elite Contributor

Thanks David. Actually I remembered how I had done it before, so un-checked the tick-box again, Applied and OK'd and clicked Save for good measure. When I started Act again this morning, guess what? I got asked if I wanted to check for updates! Also my startup view had reverted from list to contact detail. Similarly my custom calendar alarm sound randomly disappears. Aaaargh!!

I suppose I should look at upgrading, but in most other respects Act9 serves me well apart from the bunch of relatively minor irritations that I have raised on this forum from time to time, so I can't really justify the expense. And from what I've seen on the forum, there is no guarantee that they won't be replaced by another similar bunch with the latest version. The most irritating thing is Act's failure to patch these things in current versions (eg the default to US country code when updating contacts with phone numbers from the company record, which they knew about when Act9 was current), putting them off to later releases.

Thanks again,

Regards, Graham

Bronze Super Contributor

Graham,

I can understand your reluctance to upgrade to ACT! v12 but I can assure you it would be something I would recommend you seriously consider.

I'm sure you've looked at the Sage ACT! website and read the details of what this offers so I won't repeat these.

Best wishes,

David Shaw

David Shaw