Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act offline databases

Copper Contributor

Act offline databases

Hi all, I hope someone call point me in the right direction here.

I am very new to Act and could do with some advice. I have recently purchased Act 2011 Pro for 5 users.

I have 3 users internally who access a shared database which is working great, I also have 2 users who require access to the DB. I have read it is possible to setup the remote database function so they can use it away from the office, make changes etc then when back in the office they can sync the database and all changes are updated.

My question is, is this possible and can you set this up on an exisitng DB or do I need to create remote db's from a current working db.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Ben

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Act offline databases

Hello Ben,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

With the Pro version of ACT! you can use 'remote' databases, and you will create the remotes from your existing shared database.  Here is an article with instructions for creating remote databases: KB Article 14116.

Note: With the Pro version, you will use a method referred to as 'Application Sync'.  Using this method will require both the host database and the remote database be open at the time you attempt to synchronize them.

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

Thanks Greg, the remote database is now setup and working, thanks for the article there.

My other question is can you use Internet Sync using port forwarding with Act Pro 2011, this seems like a feature that would be useful to me.

Many thanks, Ben

The Internet Sync service will only work with the Premium version of ACT! (not with Pro).  An alternative would be the use of a VPN to connect and sync.  Here is an article with information and instructions for setting up a free VPN through Hamachi: KB Article 23333

Greg Martin
Sage
Platinum Elite Contributor

Haven't tested Application Sync over the internet...  In theory, I don't see a reason for it to fail.  Port forwarding/routing of the communication to the host machine would be the key component. 

Note: It would still require the main database be open on the host machine.

Greg Martin
Sage

Might be worth having someone in support test it and add to those KB articles :-)
Copper Contributor

Thanks for the help guys.

This works via port forwarding over the internet. Thanks again.

Thanks for the feedback on using port forwarding over the internet!
Greg Martin
Sage