Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Reply

Act not loading - Resolution of dependancy failed

New Member
Posts: 1
Country: Australia

Act not loading - Resolution of dependancy failed

Can anyone help with this error when trying to run Act for the first time?

 

Problem

 

I have purchased Act! v16 from an EBay supplier, downloaded  and installed it but it won't run.

 

Error Message:

 

Resolution of the dependency failed, type = "Act.UI.ActApplication", name = "".Exception Message is: The current build operation (build key Build Key [Act.UI.ActApplication}, null] failed: Could not load or Assembly 'Act.UI.Search version = 16.0.291.0, Culture = neutral, public token = ebf6b2ff4d0a08aa' or one of it's dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified (Strategy type DynamicMethodPropertySetterStrategy, Index 1) (Strategy type BuildPlan Strategy, Index 3)

 

The secondary message is: The application has encountered an error and has been shut down. Would you like to report the error now?

 

History

 

I have been using Act V11 for about a year but uninstalled it some a couple of years ago.

 

More recently, in installed a trial version of Act V16 and let the trial period expire. I have also uninstalled that.

 

This installation:

 

  1. When I first installed it there was an issue with having had a previous version. I tried manually deleting previous versions, and managed to get it to install.
  2. When I tried to run the application after installation was complete I got the error message above.

Since then I have tried:

 

  • Running Act diagnositics and renaming, deleting and repairing the preferences file;
  • Repairing .NET 4.0;
  • Installing .NET 4.0 over the old version - (It would not install becuase the system was already installed).

 

Nickel Contributor
Posts: 249
Country: United_Kingdom

Re: Act not loading - Resolution of dependancy failed

New Member
Posts: 1
Country: USA

Re: Act not loading - Resolution of dependancy failed

[ Edited ]

I feel your frustration! I just spent about 8 hours online trying to resolve this issue. I even tried every suggestion from the Act Knowledge Base at

http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/25865/kw/

None of these worked. Then noticed that my 32 bit version of Internet Explorer would not run. Only the 64 bit version I had installed would. I thought...perhaps "This was the dependency" that the software could not resolve.

What I did was to download and install the latest version 11 of internet explorer which also installed supporting updates.
Afterwards all worked fine.

I suspect that there was a registry corruption that the updated install corrected.

I can't be sure what was the actually cause but it's fixed and I'm on to other things!

Hope this helps!