Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act not installing, hangs up at preparing to install

Copper Contributor

Act not installing, hangs up at preparing to install

Was having some problems with a computer and needed to wipe it. Now I'm trying to install ACT 2006 and it will not install. It installs the .Net 1.1 Framework fine, and then goes through the normal checks and "preparing to install screen" and then the screen just vanishes and it doesn't do anything. No error comes up, but it will not install for the life of me.

Tried a bunch of suggestions here from the ACT uninstaller, removing all the .Net, XML stuff, installing during selective startup. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Act not installing, hangs up at preparing to install

What operating system does the computer use (including the Service Pack number)? Also, did you remove all of .NET or just 1.1?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

XP SP3, I removed all iterations of .NET.

Platinum Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

ACT! 2006 was never designed or tested with SP3, so there may be some compatibility issues. Here are some things you can try:

- Make sure Windows Firewall disabled

- Make sure have signed into Windows as a local administrator

- Do a manual removal of ACT! 2006, reboot and try the install again. Manual removal instructions are in KB Article 15285.

Also, try the suggested solutions in these KB articles as well:

Unfortunately, this is about as much as I can offer as Sage no longer supports ACT! 2006. If you would like to continue using ACT!, I would recommend that you upgrade.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.