Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act locks up

Act locks up

[ Edited ]

Hi

I have Act for Real Estate 10.1.199 and it ceases to respond each morning and I have to restart my computer. I turned my firewall off completely but this has no effect. Tried to call tech support but unless I wanted to pay $199 to solve defect in their program I could talk to no one. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. Wonder if reinstalling program would help.

Content removed.  Please post content relevant to topic.

Message Edited by ghollister on 08-04-2008 09:46 AM
Message Edited by ghollister on 08-04-2008 11:05 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Act locks up

Your problems are most likely caused by a file handle leak in Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0. Try updating to version 10.0.2. ACT! made changes to the way files are handles to minimize the effect of the .NET framework leak.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Thanks very much for the advice. Just updated. Was worried because it appeared to load a new version of Act. Will let you know tomorrow whether it works.

Bill

Hi 

My Act program would not respond again this morning. I have updated to 10.0.2. The exact same response. When I click on act in the lower bar it comes up but does not respond. I can close the program but cannot restart without restarting my computer. This has just recently started occuring and I have not changed anything about my computer or added any new programs. I have XP home. Should I upgrade to professional? Would this help? Why is Act working during the day but through the gets unstable?

Thanks 

Bill

I don't have your answer but want to let you know that the $199 is totally worth the investement.  I've been an ACT user for 15 years and don't know what I would have done without that support since I converted to the SQL back end with ACT 2008.

[ Edited ]

I am also having major problems with ACT! 2007 9.0.  When I check for updates, it says I have the lates version.  Frequently when I start ACT it says it can't connect to the server.  My program is only on my computer, not the server.  If I start it while off the network. sometimes i starts, sometimes not.  If not, it just sits there and then says Act not responding.  Restarting the computer usually will let me start ACT, but not always.  Major pain.  No other programs I run cause me the problems of ACT with less support!

Content removed.  Please post content relevant to topic.

Message Edited by ghollister on 08-04-2008 09:49 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

brown7373 & billbocala:

If you look in the Windows Event Viewer on your machine, do you see any Errors pertaining to ACT! or .NET?

To get the Event Viewer, go to Start, then right-click on My Computer and select Manage.  When Computer Management comes up, click the Event Viewer, then choose the Application category.  Look in the right pane for Errors (red).

If you have .NET errors, then the issue may be with .NET 2.0 on your machine. An uninstall/reinstall of .NET and ACT! should take care of this.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

My Event Log shows two Act errors.  I see no .net errors.

Event #17204 MSSQL$ACT7

Event #17207 MSSQL$ACT7

So you are thinking I need to uninstall and reinstall ACT?