Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act integration error

Copper Contributor

Re: Act integration error

[ Edited ]

Gary, my problem is that you are blaming Microsoft for this issue when in my opinion the issue lies with Act as Act should be updating its software to keep up with Microsoft after all you guys are clearly advertising the fact that Act works with Microsoft Office. Not only are you claiming this but you also claim on your website that Act works with the 64bit version of MS Office too which is not true! 

You guys obviously knew of the issue as you've written a KB article on how to resolve this issue. So my question to you is why aren't you resolving this problem from your side?

I have an active subscription with MS for Office which I might add continuously updates itself once updates become available. Based on your response to install a version of Office that we know works with Act and to stop auto updates just doesn't wash with me - are you really expecting me to install a known working version of Office just to get Act working as it should and not install any updates that MS puts out in the future leaving me open to vulnerability/security issues that may crop up with not updating my MS Office software?

I appreciate your help Gary but I have to draw the line with this, this issue is in my opinion lies with Act for not addressing the conflict and for not putting out an update to address the problem.

Administrator

I understand your frustration here. Our product development team are actively researching alternate methods for integrating Act! and Outlook to work around this problem.

We're aware that asking customers to revert their Office installations to earlier builds is not ideal, and unacceptable for some people, however this is currently the Microsoft recommended solution for this unintentional issue in which they state that they intend to resolve this issue in a future update of Office.

We'll continue working on implementing our own fix for this issue in the mean time.

Administrator

Hi Sitt1965,

I've just received word that we have begun tracking the symptoms of your issue (act.outlook.service.exe crashing on launch, no email systems appearing in preferences) as a new confirmed issue under the defect ID D-07087. We've now begun to receive further reports from other users of Office version 16.0.8201 of these same issues.

The current confirmed resolution is to revert the Office installation to version 16.0.4229.

Copper Contributor

Thanks for letting me know Gary, I'll keep checking back here for a resolution.  I appreciate your help

Running into a similiar problem.   Installed v19.2.146.0  Update 1 and I no longer have email service.   When I try to setup email it cannot locate an email system to use with ACT.   The program shows a spinning wheel that will continue unless I cancel.   I am using Office 365 with MS Outlook 2016 MSO 16.0.8201.2102  32-bit.   

I had been using v 19 without problems until this update.       We have a 3 license copy.    All have updated to this version.    We are all running Office 365.    All of us are in the same office.  

-User 1  -  The database is resident on this PC.   They are not having a problem.  Can create emails and send.  

-User 2  - Email is fine but Act blows up after doing a Write/Email Message from Template.  This user syncs the database to User 3 and has his own database on his PC.  

-User 3 -  This is me.   When I updated to version above I no longer had email setup. Also had to point to the database manually at the beginning.  And I cannot set up email now.   I am networked to the database on User 3's PC.  I use a pad file to access.

thanks for your help.

Alan

The current version of Office 365 looks to be:    v 1705  Build 8201.2102 Click to Run.

Alan

Administrator

Hi Alan,

Please could you try following the solution steps in the following Knowledgebase article: http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38580

Thanks Gary,   That solved the problem (rolling back Outlook) for me.   I checked the user where everything works and they are using a build of Outlook that you say does not work.   16.0.8067.    But it is working for them.    The other user is on 16.0.8201 and we will roll back his version also.    I am a bit concerned that we will not be using the most recent version of Outlook which have security patches etc.   Would we not be better to roll back ACT to a build that works with Outlooks newer builds?

Alan 

Administrator

Hi Alan,

We're aware that there are various builds of Office that might not produce errors under everyone usage cases.
Some features of the Act! integration may still be functional in Office versions later to 16.0.4229, however if you are using Act! calendar or contact synchronization, this is currently the recommended version. Version 8067 may not cause an integration crash on launch, and appear correctly in the email systems list, however it is likely to experience the same issues when synchronizing calendars or contacts with Act!

If the level of integration you are using currently is working without issue, there is no need to downgrade, although turning off updates would be recommended.

Thank you Gary.  That is good information.  We have turned off updates.     When will we know when to update Outlook?   I would hate to let it go too long without updating.  

Alan