Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act! installation is locking up Outlook

Copper Contributor

Act! installation is locking up Outlook

[ Edited ]

I needed to install Act! 2009 on one more computer in my network, running Office 2003 on Vista. I installed it with integration into Outlook.

Immediately after the install, Outlook started freezing about a dozen times a day, needing me to go into Task Manager and end task it.  Sometimes I attempt to open a Word document and nothing happens. I figured out that I could cure this also by end tasking Outlook,. As soon as I do that, the Word file opens immediately, don't even need to click on it again, as if Outlook was somehow locking up Word.

And sending emails takes much longer now. After I click Send, an email will often sit in the Outbox for about 2 or 3 minutes before it goes out, and Outlook is unresponsive during that time.

Windows was just recently re-installed on this computer, it was running really well before this.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Act! installation is locking up Outlook

Try adding some exceptions to your Windows firewall and anti-virus software.  Here is an article with the exceptions to add: KB Article 25125.

Another test is to remove your main database from the Outlook Address Book and replace it with the Act! demo database and test.  If it does not happen with the Demo database, it would appear to be an issue with your database.  If this is the case, run Tools > Database Maintenance > Check and Repair and test again.

You may also want to run Detect and Repair in Outlook (under Help  menu).

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

Re: Act! installation is locking up Outlook

Thanks, Greg.

I've just had another issue with this computer so I need to restore the Ghost image and then I will have to reinstall Act!. I'll have to put this off until then, if the issue arises again.

Thanks for the help.