Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act for Real Estate - Printing with Customized Template

Act for Real Estate - Printing with Customized Template

The standard label in Act for Real Estate for Avery 5160 is not aligned correctly so I used the instructions and created a customized label template.  However, when I try to create my labels from it, nothing happens.  I have tried it two ways:

1. File, Print, Label, Print, Current Lookup, Preview, Ok.  Nothing happens.  (I've also tried choosing PDF instead of Preview and while I go through all of the motions to save the file to my desktop, no file exists.  I've even gone to "recent documents," the document shows up but when I click on it, Windows cannot find the shortcut.)

2. Reports, Real Estate, Other Real Estate, Changed the file type to Act Labels (.lbl), clicked on the customized template, clicked Open, tried both All Contacts and Current Lookup, chose Preview (nothing happens), chose PDF save to desktop.  No file is saved.

I'm at my wits end. I've tried exporting the names and addresses to an Excel file so I could simply create labels in Word, but even the process of exporting is labor intensive.  So far, I am far from happy with Act for Real Estate.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Act for Real Estate - Printing with Customized Template

Hello MaryAnn,

Have you tried any of the other standard label templates? The issue may be with the 5160 label. Also have tried printing to other output methods rather than .PDF?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

What version of the ACT! program are you using? I just tested the 5160 on ACT! 2010 and it's working OK. What problems are you having?

By the way, trying with a different label was a valid troubleshooting suggestion. Good troubleshooting always involves narrowing the problem to exactly where it's happening.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

The problem with the 5160 and other similar templates is that the Top Margin is set to close to the top of the label. The letters are clipped as you peel the sheet off the label. The problem is that the "Top Margin" is set to 0.5. The correct setting should be 0.7 . Doing so moves the label down and the top line is no longer clipped.

You're not going to like my answer (and will probably reject it) but if that is happening consistently for you, the problem is with your printer. The label template is correct. The 0.5 margin that you refer to is the margin strip at the top of the sheet and is the offset to the top of the first label, not the first line of type. The actual field top on the label is set to 0.02 and the field height it set to 0.16 with the type positioned in the middle of the height. Just to make sure, I ran a sheet of 5160 labels on my system with the default 5160 template and printed correct, no type clipping as you describe.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129