I have been fighting to get my Act for Palm working again after two days of trying everthing under the sun after I upgraded from Act 8 to Act 9. I am dead in the water in the field without my contacts and infoamtion. If anyone has any ideas on how to get this working I will try anything! Please help SOS
As usual I spent 5 days loading and unloading Act, Palm, Act for Palm, Sql, .Net 1 &2, Updates until my head was spinning. I finally got to work by using the .net 1 and 2 from the Act site, reloading Act from the act site after cleaning out using the act updated uninstaller and manually taking out the registry listings. I then installed Palm and and uploaded Act for Palm from from the Act site after cleaning out the registry for Act to Palm listings.
This is crazy... I am a web developer and I am using high end machines. I can only imagine what a standard user must go through to get this working. They are messing around with their registry and take a chance of screwing up their whole system. The hours that have been wasted since Sage took over are off the charts. Somebody should put together a class action suit for turning out such a crappy program to people who have been locked into Act for years. They could at least come out with Act Express or Act Light for single users that does not use the SQL server.