Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act for Palm 3 - sync has stopped suddenly

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Super Contributor
Accepted Solution

Act for Palm 3 - sync has stopped suddenly

Hi everyone;

I've been successfully using ACT for Palm 3 with ACT 2008 for quite some time.  Last week - sync suddenly stopped working.  It seems to be syncing the same histories over and over in an endless loop.

I tried and uninstall and re-install of the software - no joy.  Did some repairing with ACTdiag - no joy.  An "Act overwrites" sync does work.  I also tried setting ACT for Palm NOT to sync any histories, but it still goes into the loop.  I do have the latest versions of the software.  AFAIK there is nothing on the knowledge base covering this.

Just fyi there are 130 contacts I am syncing with my palm. XP Pro sp2 with updates current.

Did something in Windows Update break this?

Suggestions?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author willardv
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Super Contributor

Re: Act for Palm 3 - sync has stopped suddenly

Thanks for the reply - I solved the problem by going back to Companionlink.

I had a call back from ACT Beta support - but when the guy told me that AFP didn't support 2 way sync - I figured ditching it would be much faster in the end. Smiley Very Happy

View solution in original post

All Replies
Copper Contributor

I've got good news and bad news for you. The bad news is that Sage really seems to have outsourced the writing of the Palm programs and that there are quite a few bugs in the PDA side of the program that damage the database on the PDA, and (to make matters worse) transfer the damaged records back to the desktop version. In most cases the diagnostic repair program on the desktop minimizes the damage to the database, but does not eliminate it. This you have to try to do manually.

I know all this because I've spent literally hundreds of hours trying to resolve innumerable problems with Act, that all seem to have originated in the PDA version. I have some suggestions on what you might try to resolve your issue.

First, back up the desktop database. You can always restore it after you start experimenting.

The PDA program has bugs that make it damage a large number of to-do and calendar items. It seems incapable to properly handling recurring items, and definitely crashes the PDA when you try to mark as completed any number of different calendar items. This has been a tremendous disappointment to me, because I purchased Act to use primarily out of the office to track my meetings and keep notes (instead of dragging along a computer), only to discover that this was not a particularly good idea (since the PDA version of Act would regularly crash the PDA when trying to modify appointment records).

In almost every instance the problem is reflected in the history records that ACT for Palm creates. In almost every instance, my problems arose when I marked a event or to-do complete.  AfP then marks the calendar or to-do item complete, removes it from the calendar window and creates a history item. Something "bad" happens, and the three records get detached by the AfP program. This shouldn't happen. I think that the people in Sage of aware that this problem exists, but have never been able to figure out what causes it, in part, because the turnover in this department of Sage is pretty frightening (I sincerely doubt that any of the people working in this department several months ago are still with the company).

THE SIMPLE solution to your problem is probably to eliminate a bad activity record (damaged by AfP). After doing you main database backup, try to remove old activities (in the tools). Remove ONLY old, completed ACTIVITIES (not histories--after all, you'll need those, regardless of what the people at Sage tell you). Just remove everything from 0 days or older. (You can restore the original database afterwards if this works, and try to eliminate a smaller amount of activity data.) After that run the full diagnostics, and the database activity fix. Try to overwrite your PDA. If this works, you know that you had a problem with the recording of data on the PDA.

When you try eliminating the old data, you may have other errors, which indicate that the damage created by AfP to the primary database is more serious than this, and then there is a whole other series of things you have to try to eliminate the bad record--since Sage does not have any tools for doing this directly (neither does the so-called database repair company that they refer you to; they will simply delete huge amount of data from you database).

Solution
Accepted by topic author willardv
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Super Contributor

Thanks for the reply - I solved the problem by going back to Companionlink.

I had a call back from ACT Beta support - but when the guy told me that AFP didn't support 2 way sync - I figured ditching it would be much faster in the end. Smiley Very Happy

Copper Contributor

Are you serious? They really told you that AfP doesn't support two-way sync???

Marc

Copper Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

That's what the caller said, Marc.

I helped with the beta of the software and had always received good support through the beta email address - but I think they have since moved on to ACT 11.  I didn't see any issues in the knowlege base, so I emailed the beta address with my problem.

Message Edited by willardv on 06-18-2008 12:32 PM
Copper Contributor

That's interesting. I also helped beta test the new palm version. I uncovered a number of bugs, and, originally they were very responsive. However, after they told me they were addressing some of the confirmed "issues" (like the inability to handle recurring activities), they simply stopped responding. (I sent them a couple of brief messages asking them if they were working on fixes any more.) My impression, even from these discussions, is that there is nobody at Sage working on the product and that aside from a couple of supervisors, all of the work was contracted out. Marc

Hello,

Just to clarify, 2-way synchronizaiton IS supported in ACT! for Palm OS.

Copper Contributor

So, who called to tell him that it wasn't supported? And what is the status of work on the database management issues that make it such an unreliable program? (No recurring activities on the handheld and crashes when completing a variety of issues. There is also some strange issue with opportunities that contain high cost products; these crash the sync process entirely. I finally figured out what was causing the sync crash--a service for 36,000,000 exceeded some bounds on the handheld opportunity process and completely COMPLETELY crashes the sync. When broken down into smaller "products", the sync functions again!) Marc
Copper Contributor

I've identified the problem, and a solution. It is related to a programming error (one of many) in Palm for Act. There appears to be some sort of pre-defined limit on the maximum value of a product. I had the same problem last year twice, and wasted an enormous amount of time with Sage technical support, uninstalling and reinstalling the products while they tried to figure out what was wrong. Eventually, they concluded that there was some damage to my desktop database that the diagnostics would not fix (wrong!). Eventually, I found that problem myself. If you enter into your desktop database in the opportunity database a product with a value that is too large (just exactly what that is, I cannot say, but $20mm or $30mm is too large, and $12mm is not), once this product is transferred to your PDA, on the next sync, this item will crash your entire synchronization process (actually terminating it and all subsequent conduits) and will reset your synch of Act to overwrite. It will successfully overwrite the PDA, but will not be able to two-way sync after that. The only solution (which, in my opinion requires a full refund from the Sage people, because it is really a catastrophic failure of their software, one of many) is to figure out which opportunity is causing the issue, redo the products and do a full overwrite with the new, smaller amounts. That last stage is very important. Don't forget to overwrite the fixed opportunity to the PDA.

Copper Contributor

Hello D Lunceford,

Since you seem to have some direct contact with Sage and whatever is left of the Act for Palm department (group? person?), Do you know if they are planning on fixing any or all of the catastrophic bugs in the AfP? What's going on there? Marc