Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act for Mac?

Act for Mac?

I feel like I'm going to have to say "Duh!" after you answer ...

It looks like there is an Act program for Mac OS X, but I'm having

difficulty finding it in the products or on the Apple site.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Act for Mac?

There isn't an ACT! version for the MAC because the ACT! program uses the .NET framework and MSSQL and they must be installed on a Windows operating system. Some people are running the Windows version of the ACT! program on a Mac using virtual machine software like Boot Camp or Parallels.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll try to find another data organizer then. Unlike a lot of ppl, when I tried loading windows on my mac using boot camp, I ran into trouble and now have to send the mac back to factory for fix.

I think I'd rather keep it clean Mac rather than mix the windows programs. There's a reason for leaving PC's behind ... and I hate to drag any of the problems with me to Mac.

One would think that Sage would get on board with Mac ... or maybe they don't find it attractive for the same reasons virus makers and hackers havn't given Mac that much attention.

Well, I don't know what I'll use yet, but it looks like it's "adios" for ACT!

Platinum Elite Contributor

The reason virus makers and hackers haven't given Mac that much attention is that there aren't enough users to make it worth while... so yes, probably the same reason

Other than Bootcamp, it should also run under Parallels on the Mac

I used Act 1.0 for Dos and liked it.  Act used to be around for the Mac but since they clipped it.  I will use Daylite for Mac.  They also have a version for the iPhone.  Apple is up to 21% U.S. market share according to Fortune Magazine April of 2008...  So many business people are using Mac Laptops...   Maybe just supporting 2 platforms is too much.
Tuned Listener

I am currently running Vista x64 on my Macbook. It runs well however battery life is not as good as under Mac OS. I have tried Fusion and parallels to vm the bootcamp partition and the annoying thing is that although this is a nice setup for most purposes I cannot run this specifically because of ACT! Each time you switch between bootcamp and vm ACT! licencing detects a machine change and needs reactivated - you dont even need to have ran ACT! for the detection to have taken place. Most annoying and completely scuppered my MAC/Vista plans as I wanted to run on a MAC OS and use the unity mode to access my PC applications on my MAC desktop. Would have been nice.
Platinum Elite Contributor

I too have been looking to move to a Mac.  The best option seems to be a program called Daylight by MarketCircle.  They offer an Act Database migration service to get your act database over to the daylight database format.  It's not perfect but you can run cleanly with a new program in the Mac world.   Act needs to offer a Mac option.  I imagine Sage is starting to feel the squeeze.