Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act creates empty folders on PC

Act creates empty folders on PC

Act! Pro - 19.0.147.0. Update 4

Office Home and Business 2016

Shared database

Windows 7

I keep finding empty Act folders strewn across my filing system.

Folder contains another which is empty as follows

ACT

-> ACT Data

I'm unsure if the problem is linked to Outlook. Possibly if I save something from my email, Act creates a folder. I couldn't say for certain though.

I deleted 84 top folders yesterday, this morning I have 4 more.

It's more of an irritation than a problem as such but I would like to find out why it's doing it and how to stop it.

Thank you

Administrator

Re: Act creates empty folders on PC

Hi Kassa,

This is rather strange. Where are these folders being created exactly?

Can you check in Act!, under Help > About Act! > Database Information. Look for the PAD file location. Does it match the same directory as the Database File Location and Supplemental File location?
Is this where you're finding the empty folders?

PAD File location
Supplimental File Location

Both of the above are the same. The below is different

Database File Location

All are located on the server, although the Database file location is a 'mapped network drive'.

Aside from all locations being on the server (including the empty creations), they're not being created specifically in the same place.

i.e.
Server

> PAD File location and Supplimental file location 'loose' on server

> Mapped network drive A (folders are being created here)

> Mapped network drive B (Database file location)

I hope I've explained properly

Administrator

Hi Kassa,

How many users are accessing the database daily?

Do you have any 3rd party addons in use?

Are you using the Outlook integration? You could try disabling the integration for the time being to see if it has any effect.

Are there any clues as to when these empty folders are being created, or as the result of a particular action? Can you tell who they are created by in the folder properties, or see if they are being created at a similar time?

For the database file location, is is a location on the server that has been mapped to a network drive on the client machine?
As an aside, if this is the case, it's best practice to keep the .PAD file locally on the client machine. When accessing a PAD file across the network, if there is a brief disconnect in the network connection between the workstation and the server, the PAD file's network location will be forgotten by the Windows system and it will be necessary to browse across the network and reconfigure each time this disconnect happens. To avoid this, it is recommended to copy the PAD file to the workstation.
Platinum Elite Contributor

Hi Gary,

Actually opening the Act program and accessing it daily: none (as far as I'm aware) We are using Act mainly to share email history between staff so we can track conversations etc for reference.

No 3rd party addons

We are using Outlook integration. If we were to disable it, would the history be back-dated once it is reconnected?

It appears the folder is being created by myself (unintentionally, of cause).

The locations where the folders are being created appear to be recently used folders.

I have tried a few actions such as:

• opening items in a folder
  • attaching an item to an email in outlook
  • saving an item from outlook

A folder appears to have been created where I have saved items from Outlook,

A folder has also been created when attaching an item to an email, placing it in the location where the attachment was saved. This appears to be inconsistant though as I've attached a few things this morning and not all of the locations are sporting a new folder.

The Database File Location is saved in a folder on the server. This folder has been mapped to individuals login on a particular workstation.

I have noticed that I get errors almost daily (sometimes multiple times a day) on Outlook saying I need to reconnect the database.

If I was to save the PAD to the workstation then would all users be looking at the same data?

Administrator

Hi Kassa,

Saving the PAD file to the local machine should help with those errors. The PAD file is just a pointer and contains the location of the database on the network. It doesn't contain any contact data. Open it in a text editor to see for yourself.

This can be copied and saved on each machine. Each will point back to the same database on the server so all users would still be accessing the same data.

You'll need to set up the Outlook integration again, except this time using the locally stored PAD file, instead of one across the network.

If you were to disable the Outlook integration, either by turning it off in the Act! preferences, or disabling the add-in Outlook, the email history wouldn't be recorded any more. You could manually choose to attach the emails again after you re-enable it by selecting the missing emails in Outlook, and clicking Quick Attach from the Add-ins tab.

Platinum Elite Contributor

The database should be accessed via the direct path (not mapped) ... It's accessed by the service, not the user credentials.
You should be able to see the local location if you open the PAD file in Notepad

Why are you mapping the database location? I suspect that this might be causing your issues.
Just copy the Pad file to each users Documents or Desktop folder. See: http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13878

You'll also need to change the settings in Outlook to point the Act! Addressbook to the local PAD
Those Outlook errors should be fixed by this, as per: http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13531

Hi Gary,

Apologies for the late reply.

By moving the PAD file to the C drive of my PC, I have ceased to find empty Act folders on our server.

On a side note: this has not stopped the error (which I think was the original intention of moving the PAD file.)

Should I start another thread RE the error:

Unable to perform the requested action. There are no ACT! address books setup at this time.

Thank you

Administrator

Good news Kassa!

For the additional error, please try the steps in the following Knowledgebase article, to re-add your Act! address book. 

KB 26796 - How to add my Act! address book to Microsoft Outlook 2010 and later

You must first remove the old Act! address book in step 3 before re-adding it.