Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act compared with Outlook

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Act compared with Outlook

I have used Act now for several years, but am having questions about why I need it as opposed to Outlook.

Can someone give me some compelling reasons to stay with Act?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author marmstrong
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Bronze Contributor

Re: Act compared with Outlook

Hello Marmstrong.  That is a good question depending on what is generating the question.

If you are using the Act program only as a Rolodex with an eMail client without taking advantage of any of the other features, then I would say that you might have a good point.

ACT has the ability to connect to Outlook giving you the ability to use Outlook and Word for eMail creation -- certainly an industry standard. 

Outlook is eMail centric and ACT is contact centric.  As eMails arrive in Outlook, you have the option of storing them directly in a single ACT contact or in multiple Act contacts as opposed to a folder in Outlook which is just for eMail.  It doesn't let you hold documents, record phone call history, indicate meetings held, etc.  You can add these items in the contact profile in Outlook in the notes section as a manual copy and paste.  You also will have to manually date the entries in the Outlook notes section.

Email merge is much easier using ACT to drive the eMails through Outlook.

You can sort the history to see all calls or eMails or other actions on an account.  Don't think that would be possible in Outlook.

And as a friend of mine told me, you don't have to deal with a Microsoft PST file.  Backing up ACT will backup all the eMail into a zip file.  For me, that has worked flawlessly.

Take a look at the Calendar portion of Outlook.  You schedule an appointment without connecting it to a contact, except for who is invited.  While the calendar will look in the Outlook address book for a contact to be entered, it will not historically record the meeting with the contact. 

These are thoughts that have crossed my mind as I sit watching the Cowboys / Eagles playoff game.

Hope it helped. 

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB, Win 10 Pro, & Office 365, 32bit

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author marmstrong
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Bronze Contributor

Hello Marmstrong.  That is a good question depending on what is generating the question.

If you are using the Act program only as a Rolodex with an eMail client without taking advantage of any of the other features, then I would say that you might have a good point.

ACT has the ability to connect to Outlook giving you the ability to use Outlook and Word for eMail creation -- certainly an industry standard. 

Outlook is eMail centric and ACT is contact centric.  As eMails arrive in Outlook, you have the option of storing them directly in a single ACT contact or in multiple Act contacts as opposed to a folder in Outlook which is just for eMail.  It doesn't let you hold documents, record phone call history, indicate meetings held, etc.  You can add these items in the contact profile in Outlook in the notes section as a manual copy and paste.  You also will have to manually date the entries in the Outlook notes section.

Email merge is much easier using ACT to drive the eMails through Outlook.

You can sort the history to see all calls or eMails or other actions on an account.  Don't think that would be possible in Outlook.

And as a friend of mine told me, you don't have to deal with a Microsoft PST file.  Backing up ACT will backup all the eMail into a zip file.  For me, that has worked flawlessly.

Take a look at the Calendar portion of Outlook.  You schedule an appointment without connecting it to a contact, except for who is invited.  While the calendar will look in the Outlook address book for a contact to be entered, it will not historically record the meeting with the contact. 

These are thoughts that have crossed my mind as I sit watching the Cowboys / Eagles playoff game.

Hope it helped. 

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB, Win 10 Pro, & Office 365, 32bit
Astute Commentator

I am an old ACT user since the mid 90's. That being said, I stopped using ACT when my company(s) started using exchange server. The ability to instantaneously synchronize my outlook on multiple machines, along with Web Access, and phone integration (Microsoft Mobile, Blackberry, iPhone, and Android) made the advantages of the instant and reliable  synchronization too much to resist. For years now I have been an Outlook user. Finally, version 2011 comes along and I had to buy it. I figured that if it synchronized smoothly, all my problems would be solved. Well, the installation went poorly to say the least. The synchronization was weak, and ACT consumed huge resources on my computer. Finally after attempting to get ACT to bring across all the emails, it finally took my Outlook down completely. I'm rebuilding Outlook as we speak.

Even if Act had not brought Outlook to it's knees, I noticed quite a few advantages of Outlook. In addition, there are some the dispute the previous response.

1. The first thing I noticed was the search. Much easier to use than ACT. If you are in contact, you simply type in any of the following: First name, Last Name, Company name, or any part of any of the above. Simple, fast, and easy. Considerably better than all the clicks and pull downs required from act. If you need a more advanced search, that is possible as well.
  2. Next I noticed that there was no company phone. There was only one phone number. The one that was synchronized with Outlook was the “Business” number which I have used as the Direct Dial number. The “Company” number or main receptionist number was not available. Even if you create one, (Which I did) there was no synchronization with that field. I had to go back and forth to Outlook to copy and paste the company name into ACT.
  3. Outlook has loads of phone numbers to choose from. You see 4 but it has around 12 including but not limited to Company, Business, Business 2, Home, Home1, Fax, Home Fax, Assistant…. ACT has Business, Home, and fax for ea
  4. The address field in Outlook is much easier to copy and paste from other sources like the web for putting in Address, Address 2, City, State, and ZIP. In ACT you have to put each one in separate steps.
  5. If you go to “Details” in your contact, Outlook will grab every email, note or phone call you made or sent since the beginning of time. You can limit it if you want. It is slow, but if you need it is there. Back in the days when I used ACT as my email, it did a pretty good job of keeping track of everything. In today’s world of Exchange Server, Blackberries, etc, ACT really needs to do a better job of synchronizing emails, contacts, and calendars, past, present and future. By the way, the Journal is one the best kept Outlook secrets. Something else that does not synchronize with ACT.
  6. I’m still using 2007 Outlook. In addition, I’m using strait Outlook, not “Business Contact Manager” a feature that comes with Office Professional. Business Contact manager has the separate companies with contacts in each company. That was very similar to ACT.

As it stands now, I plan on getting Outlook 2010, and sending ACT back. Outlook is easier to use, takes less resources on my computer, synchronizes instantly, wirelessly and perfectly with my smart phone, has seamless built in Web Access. If I was a sales manager (Like I was) and needed to share a database, and get activity reports from my reps, the benefits of ACT would outweigh Outlook. Since we don’t share databases, and activity reports are not required, Outlook is just great.

Sorry ACT Fans,

I can't tell you how much I appreciated that response!

It came in the nick of time because I was just getting ready to purchase the new version of ACT.

Thank you again.