Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act! backup files cannot be copied

Copper Contributor

Act! backup files cannot be copied

[ Edited ]

I've just configured Act! 2009 to run daily backups to its default location, in Documents/Act/act for Windows9/backup, and it creates the backup zip files as expected.

When I then later run a sync program that backs up my Documents folder to an external hard drive, it tells me it cannot backup those zip files, it says Access Denied.  I am used to seeing this message in reference to the database files on other computers that I've set up Act! on, but I have never seen this happen on the backup zip files. 

As a test to see if it was due to some Vista permissions issue, I created a text document in that same Backup folder, and my sync program was able to backup that file correctly, so it is not a Vista permissions issue as far as I can tell.  Seems like it is some characteristic or property of these zip files.

I also tried rebooting the computer, not opening Act!, and running the sync program immediately, but still no luck.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Message Edited by vincenzo on 08-04-2009 12:07 PM
Message Edited by vincenzo on 08-04-2009 12:46 PM
Message Edited by vincenzo on 08-04-2009 12:46 PM

Re: Act! backup files cannot be copied

The backups aren't the problem, its the actual database that's attached to SQL.  In order to use a third party software to backup files, you will need to stop the SQL service in order to copy successfully. After its done backing up, you will need to restart the service.

- Close ACT!

- Go to Start and select Run

- Type "net stop mssql$act7" (without quotes) and click Ok.

- Run third party backup software

- Go to Start and select Run

- Type "net start mssql$act7" (without quotes) and click Ok.

Copper Contributor

My understanding and experience in the past has been that only the database files are attached to SQL, the zip files that are created by the Act backup are not attached.

Yet on this computer the zip files cannot be accessed by the 3rd party sync program.

Have you tried my steps?
Copper Contributor

I haven't tried them, I am not at that location. 

But if I do try them and they work, my question will be the same:

I thought that only the database files are attached to SQL, the zip files that are created by the Act backup are not attached.

That is what I understood the purpose was in creating the backup zip files.  There were not linked to SQL, could be easily backed up.

Thanks

Theres probably a database located in the My Documents folder.
Copper Elite Contributor

Hello David and Vincenzo,

I have experienced a similar problem with other aplications (in Windows Vista, at least).

So, I believe is not a problem related do ACT, back up, etc.

My work around was to download a free application that can "unlock" files and this has solved several problems, as I said before, not only related to ACT.

If you would like to try you may find "Unlocker" at http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

I hope this helps.

But I still have problems with ACT back up. Long file names for some attachments and I hope this will be fiex in next AC release.

Regards

Mac, Jorge A. Mac Genity
Using ACT! by Sage 2013 Pro Version 15.1.108.0, on Windows 7
Intel Core I7-2600 CPU @ 3,40 GHz
12,0 GB - 64 bits - NVidia GForce GTX 360 SE
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks, David,

yes, the Act database is located in My Documents.  Do you think that is related to this issue?

McGnity,

Thanks, but Unlocker, if it fixes this issue, is not a long term fix.  I need the daily zips that are created to be accessible, can't go in every day and run unlocker.  And the folder is not locked as per the test I mentioned in my first post.

Message Edited by vincenzo on 08-05-2009 10:16 AM

Yes, thats exactly what the issue is.  Doing my steps will workaround the issue.
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

My initial experience with backing up the act database to an external drive was based on what I read here:

http://community.act.com/sage/board/message?board.id=ACT&message.id=3900  

"most backup programs will not correctly backup a SQL database (which ACT! uses) ..............   You really should use the backup in ACT! which produces a ZIP file... and this can be then backed up with something else."

As a result I've always used the Act backup utility to create a zip file, and never had a problem using a sync program to copy the zip file to an external drive up until now.

Seems like something unusual is going on here.  I don't want to use a work around, want to find out why this system is not working as it should.

Message Edited by vincenzo on 08-05-2009 03:43 PM