Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act & Blackberry

Re: Act & Blackberry

Awfully good and accurate comment. I had to purchase Companion Link, which I am very pleased with in all aspects.

Just moved to the newest Act and had to upgrade to a newer Companion Link Express and not only was there no charge, but the thing worked just fine!

However, there are a number of things that Act should do within itself but doesn't. Automatic Backup and better perfomance would be two that stand out for me. Odd that QBooks and Act seem to have the same needs.

All three products I mention above are good products and I pay for them myself--no corporate money here.

Joe

Mike

Can you schedule an event on your BBerry and have it show up as an event with the actual customer name rather than as one with your name?

Joe

Platinum Elite Contributor

belair wrote:

Mike

Can you schedule an event on your BBerry and have it show up as an event with the actual customer name rather than as one with your name?

Joe

Certainly you can with Handheld Contact... you can even schedule activities with multiple contacts or even for other users, just like you can in ACT!.

In the setup for Companionlink you are requested to set up how many notes are transferred. I believe 5 is the default.

Mike,

I would tend to agree with you.  The 2 thing I like about CL is the lack of a limit on the number of contacts (I think HH is 2,500).  And the ability in CL Pro to bring in multiple databases.  I keep personal contacts in Outlook and office contacts in Act.  I do however only have 1 calendar.  If HH offered these features and the ability to handle more contacts, I would switch.

pboyle8 wrote:

Mike,

I would tend to agree with you.  The 2 thing I like about CL is the lack of a limit on the number of contacts (I think HH is 2,500).  And the ability in CL Pro to bring in multiple databases.  I keep personal contacts in Outlook and office contacts in Act.  I do however only have 1 calendar.  If HH offered these features and the ability to handle more contacts, I would switch.

You can actually increase the number of contacts (depending on the device and how much RAM) providing you limit the number of fields and the number of notes/histories. But most users shouldn't... much better to use dynamic groups so you have the contacts that you need on the device.

But I like that I can schedule for other users, work with custom activities and even link multiple contacts to an activity, history ot email.

How about the ability to keep personal contacts in Outlook and business in Act so they aren't comingled?  I have a Blackberry Curve, assuming I have additional RAM, does that get used and if so, how many contacts?

pboyle8 wrote:
How about the ability to keep personal contacts in Outlook and business in Act so they aren't comingled?  I have a Blackberry Curve, assuming I have additional RAM, does that get used and if so, how many contacts?

You could sync the Outlook contacts to the normal addressbook and the ACT! contacts to HHC (it has it's own database).

Databases can't use additional RAM.... the most I've seen on a Curve without any notes/history was about 6K. I think the new Curve might have more RAM, but not sure. But, like I said, using dynamic groups to get the ones you need is a much better idea.

I have used many handhelds in the last few years. Mostly Blackberry. 1 palm and it could not handle the amount of contacts I had. I have found that all of the Blackberry devices work well. I also use Act with 2792 contacts as now. I use Companion Link with great reliability. I keep all of my contacts with in Act and have personal ones in there also. I have not tried to utilize Outlook and Act, but Act keeps my contacts organized my personal ones separate from the Business ones. Companion link has had upgrades and great tech support. As Act changes so does Companion Link. Act keeps the contacts separate and Blackberry blazes through them with lightning speed. I can give my act database to anyone and they will never see my personal contacts or appointments and notes. I think maintaining 2 separate databases would be a cumbersome project.
David Greene
Manufacturers' Representative
Copper Elite Contributor

Belair,

Take a look at this document I believe it answers your question.

Thanks.

How to Link Activities with Contacts in Companionlink