Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act & Blackberry

Highlighted

Re: Act & Blackberry

I couldn't agree more! 2 industry leaders not able to sync without problems? This sounds to me like they work with 3-party providers to create more $$ for someone! I'll try one more free download: Handheld whatever... but simply put, I shouldn't have to. Its a simple database: its only field mapping!
Highlighted
Platinum Elite Contributor

riottgirl wrote:
Which app does one use? The ACT app or the Blackberry app/

For what?
Highlighted

riottgirl wrote:
I couldn't agree more! 2 industry leaders not able to sync without problems? This sounds to me like they work with 3-party providers to create more $$ for someone! I'll try one more free download: Handheld whatever... but simply put, I shouldn't have to. Its a simple database: its only field mapping!

The field mapping isn't the problem. It's the linking of activities and histories to the right contacts. The PDAs don't do this
Highlighted

In the former versions of Act! there was a nice little software tool that was called ActLink for Palm. It worked fine but that all changed after version 6 of Act. Simple put, the database format changed and so the nice little tool only allows overwrites on the handheld and no longer synchronizing. CompanionLink works fine, but there are limitations to the format of the data on the handheld that I'm not crazy about. This new version of Act! has many inferior aspects to it from version 6 - not the least of which is that a CRM software package should support handheld devices natively and without additional expense. Whatever you do, know that if you use ActLink with Act version 2007 or higher, you are at risk to overwrite ALL calendar, task and contact information on your handheld EVERY time you sync.
Highlighted

agreed! ACT should support it natively. Well said.
Highlighted

Well for all the complaining we all still bought the software so they are laughing all the way the bank. Probably the only way they will really care about their customers is when someone else brings out something else that's better. Till  then WC Fields said it best "Their's one born every minute"  it's a shame the software industry can get away with cause in my business if we did this we would be out of business.
Highlighted

I hear from a well-placed source that they are talking about supporting handhelds in version 11 or 12, probably 2010. Seriously.. I really heard that.
Highlighted

While you might post a warning it is inaccurate.  I have been using ACT with CompanionLink since ACT 2007 and now through ACT 2008 Premium.  CompanionLink is quick and reliable.  It WORKS FINE with my Blackberry Curve as it did with my previous PDA's.  I have found their support to be pretty good and responsive too.  My suggestion is to come off your high horse and just give CompanionLink a call.  Also, you probably do have a corrupt database.  Try it with ACT's demo database first.  If that works then it is your database.  Databases do corrupt - all of them do.  You need to maintain them through indexing and also keep good back ups or you can just gripe but that won't really get you anywhere.

Sincerely,

Don (ACT 2008 Premium User) 

Highlighted

I own a Blackjack, thinking of switching to Blackberry to get Act to sync with it seamlessly. From what I read here, it's not gonna happen...  I have been using Companionlink to sync with Act, but with the Blackjack, it has to sync through Outlook. Hence, the benefits of syncing get curtailed, for you can't sync both ways like this.

I guess I will have to give Blackberry and Companionlink a vote of confidence. I just feel sorry for all the non-tech salesforce that's out there that can't use Act and any PDA because of the high costs (including time) of just getting it to work.

Even though, I have to disagree that the tech support for Companionlik is great. Some lady hung up the phone on me for no reason, another guy kept sighing at my support session, and a smarty pants sales guy tells me that he is the supervisor, when I requested to speak to one. the jerk wouldn't be answering the phone if he was it. But that is the price we pay for new, imcomplete tech.

I am committed to Act, even when Sage keeps lagging in technology and maintaining a culture of incompletness in their products. I guess they don't have the resources.

Highlighted

[ Edited ]

{quoted post removed as discourteous}

Why do you assume I'm marketing?

I don't sell ACT!, I don't sell anything at all to end-users, I don't get paid to promote products or provide support here. I get no benefit from anyone here who decides to use most of the products I recommend.

I simply recommend products that I know work well and that I think have a value to their users beyond the investment.

I won't recommend any product to a user unless I have played with it and/or know the vendor well, and won't put the info on our site unless I use it.

Message Edited by tashina on 07-04-2008 01:40 PM