Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act! Version 11 Cannot back up

Act! Version 11 Cannot back up

Hi,

I am trying to backup my act database through the file menu and Act scheduler and I am recieving an error. What could this mean? I dont believe we have ever backed up in this way. We have just been doing full backup images of the entire server.

========SCHEDULER SESSION - 2013-11-08T19:30:01 ========
Start Date/Time: 2013-11-08T19:30:01
Database: Fazzi_Contacts
User Name: sal montalvo
Machine Name:
FA-NOR-ACT01.FAZZIASSOC.LOCAL
Type of Event: Backup with Attachments.
Task Frequency: Daily, every weekday(M-F)
Result: Task Not Completed
Errors: Failed to log into the database. Cannot open backup device '\\FA-NOR-ACT01\Fazzi_Contacts-database files\Backup
FA-NOR-ACT01_Fazzi_Contacts_D20131108T193001.BAK'. Operating system error 5(Access is denied.).

BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally.
PRC_MAINT_BACKUPDB: ERROR EXECUTING DATABASE BACKUP STATEMENT

Nickel Contributor

Re: Act! Version 11 Cannot back up

You could try and running ACT! via the Run Administrator option to see if it is a permission problem due to UAC 

Right-click on the ACT! Icon and select Run as administrator 

Also try creating the backup in a local folder to see if that works. 

I would also make sure you don't have any files in the \\FA-NOR-ACT01\Fazzi_Contacts-database files\Backup folder

Thanks for getting back to me. Opening as administrator and cleaning out the folder did not work. The funny thing is the folder it is trying to access is not the folder I am telling it to backup to. I am logged in to the server and telling it to save to the desktop and it is still showing this error. Is there somewhere else I can specify the location of the backup?

Nickel Contributor

[ Edited ]

It puts temporary files in this folder, try putting it in a folder on the root of the C: Drive or another one as the file path length may also be affecting it.

if you browse to the folder path can you create and delete files in it just with it stating "Operating system error 5(Access is denied.)"

I am able to create and delete files in this folder. I chose the main ACT folder on the C drive as the backup location and it failed with the same error. Do you know how to set the backup device it is trying to connect to? It is still trying to use the share, but I would like to specify its location on the C drive instead. This does not appear to be a config item in the programs Preferences or through "actdiag".

Nickel Contributor

Automatic backups are done via the ACT! Scheduler which you should see as an icon in your taskbar menu

http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19218 this will help with editing the Scheduler.

Witin ACT! you go to the File menu -> Backup and then click Database then browse to where you want backup the database to.

This will help on how to backup within the application.

http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19211