Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act, VPN, Outlook Questions

Act, VPN, Outlook Questions

I have a user that works in the office and on the road, he is having issues with outlook when switching from Office LAN to VPN and back again. Everytime he has to change outlook requires setup everytime. Is there a way to stop this from happening.

Notes:

Server address is the same for LAN an VPN

User uses a laptop Core i7, 16 gb ram, Windows 7 Pro x64

User's outlook is x32

Currently using Act 11

VPN is through a Sonicwall Firewall (using split tunling)

Silver Contributor

Re: Act, VPN, Outlook Questions

When you say outlook requires setup every time?  Can you be more specific?  Is this the message saying that the ACT address book is not set up and prompting the user to reenter their ACT password?

If so, it is most likely that the ACT database that is used in the office is not available when on the road.

If that is the case, then I'd make that user a remote database and configure ACT to use that database for history rather than the office master database.  Or make the office Master database available.

I've made some assumptions which may not be true.  If so, please provide more details.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Hi Jon,

I have the same problem:

I have Act! installed in my network server (Microsoft Exchange server SP2). We are three persons to work with the same Database, sometimes in our office, sometimes on the road via VPN.

ACT! works pretty well via VPN.  We don't have anny issue.

Our problem is the integration of Microsoft Outlook 2007 with ACT! pro 2012.  When we are connected with to the server with cable or Wi Fi, we don't have problems.  We see the ACT contact database in Outlook.  Problems begin when we are on the road and connected via VPN.  Outlook loses the link of the ACT database and we can't  write e-mails to our contacts, obviously we lose the historic.

I'm not a programmer, so if you can explain me step by step what to do to conserve the integration Outlook-ACT! by VPN it will be very appreciated

José

Bronze Super Contributor

My guess is that it has to do with the way Outlook communicates (or not) with the Exchange server in the two different scenarios.

Does your Outlook configuration use PST files?

Hi Scoot,
Yes our Outlook use PST files

josé