Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act! V18 With Office 2016 - Anyone else having issues with Mail Merge ?

Act! V18 With Office 2016 - Anyone else having issues with Mail Merge ?

Hi

I recently upgraded to V18 as I was assured it would work with our latest Office version of office 265 (V2016). After hours of work I find the same problem still exists.  It sends 2-3 mails and then Outlook crashes with the message "Outlook has stopped working"  Nothing else is logged.  After restarting outlook it will send another 2-3 messages and crash again.   Very frustrating.  This happens on two NEW Win 7 Machines 32 bit with Office 2016 32 bit.   

Anyone had any success getting this combination to work?  Act! says its supported but there is clearly still a problem.

Employee

Re: Act! V18 With Office 2016 - Anyone else having issues with Mail Merge ?

Hi,

Can you please let us know if this happens when you do a mail merge or you lookup contacts and send a group email by clicking on email message?

Thank you

Re: Act! V18 With Office 2016 - Anyone else having issues with Mail Merge ?

They have Act! Templates prepared in Word Format and they send this to a list they have selected in Act!  If there are only 2-3 on the list it usually works but if there are a larger number it starts processing the list and creating the mails in the Outlook Draft Folder. After doing 3-5 messages Outlook crashes and Act! stops.  If I switch to using Act word processor it works fine but this does not help as the office has hundreds of Templates in word.  As a test i upgraded one machine to Act! 18 and it has Office 2013 and this works fine.   I also noticed today that it is duplicating mails when it crashes so some members are getting the same message 3 and 4 times so its not ideal.

Re: Act! V18 With Office 2016 - Anyone else having issues with Mail Merge ? - Update

Hi Everyone 

Resumed testing today and found that this issue is related to IMAP in outlook.  Here are the steps we tested

1   Run Mailmerge in Act with 30 contacts.   Outlook open. 

2   Act will process  a random number of these and put them in the draft folder in Outlook.

3   Outlook starts to 'synchronise' the draft folder with the IMAP  server  (Customer is using gmail for email and apps)

4   Once the sync starts outlook Crashes after sending one message and has to be manually restarted

As a workaround I reconfigured Outlook to use POP3  (Lost folder sync but thats another reason to move them from Gmail ;-} )   Once outlook is set up for POP the mailmerge works normally.

Employee

Re: Act! V18 With Office 2016 - Anyone else having issues with Mail Merge ? - Update

Hi,

That is really good news and i am sure this post will help a lot of users to isolate the issue.

Thank you for your comments Smiley Happy

I have a similar issue with Act! Pro Version 18.1.103.0, Update 3 under Windows 10.

I'm using a Yahoo! paid account with the Outlook 2016 that came with Office 365.

After a lot of trial and error, I finally got Yahoo! working using the IMAP protocol.

Is it still going to be necessary to change to POP3 to get ACT! to do mail merges?

If so, does anybody have any configuration details to help me set up Yahoo! under POP3, please?

Mail Merge has always worked perfectly for me from DOS days through ACT! 12 with Windows 7.  Now....

Administrator

Hi dorseyjf,

I would suggest setting up your email system in Act to use Outlook for you mail merges. This would allow you to use IMAP to send the emails.
Do you have any limitation with using Outlook to perform the mail merges instead of using Act internet mail?

The following Knowledgebase article details the email system setup process: http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/26832

Thanks, Gary.  That part of it I had figured out, finally, no thanks to Microsoft. 

My problem was an Outlook issue, created when I first tried POP3 when setting up my Yahoo! account then changed to IMAP.

Even though I deleted the first account, a .pos file remained and Outlook pointed to that one instead of to the one associated with the IMAP version of my account.

Michael Kadlub of Keystroke Computing here in Canada supplied me with this link: http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/35186

Once I changed the default e-mail address and default data file to the same values, Mail Merge ran just fine.

Thanks to both of you for your inputs.

Now I just have to figure out why I couldn't find the answers on my own.... [blush]

UPDATE:  The first few (small) mail merges that I ran completed just fine.

All of my mail merges consist of an .adt file with one .pdf attachment that is about 2.6 meg in size.

Last night I ran one with 15 messages and had to restart Outlook three or four times.  Each time it would crash after sending two or three messages, but it did finally complete the last nine or so in one step and then stayed open.  All the messages looked fine in the Sent folder and responses started to come in this morning.

Today I attempted a mail merge with 28 messages.  Outlook would send one or two messages then crash.  Finally it stopped sending altogether and simply crashed within about 30 seconds of starting to send.

I notice that there are two more files in the Draft folder than appear in the Sending n of x message and Outlook crashes as soon as it starts to Synchronize files.

Now I am totally out of commission as I cannot use Outlook at all.

Anybody have any solutions?  I am ruing the day that I ever laid eyes on Windows 10 and Office 365.

Administrator

The usual suspect in scenarios where Outlook is crashing randomly during mail merges, is Outlook running out of system resources.
I would try to limit any extra programs running while you are sending your mail merges, and keeping an eye on your memory usage.

If there are emails in your Draft folder that are causing Outlook to crash, I would suggest deleting the contents of the folder.
If Outlook is crashing too quickly before you can do this, try clicking the Work Offline button on the Send / Receive tab. This should stop any drafts attempting to send.